12-week old puppy swallows 8-inch knife; expected to recover.

It is only minorly newsworthy, but it is a quick and easy post and it is nice to run some good news. A puppy in Scotland swallowed what looks to be a small steak or kitchen knife – luckily handle-first.

From BBC:

Twelve-week-old Staffordshire bull terrier Macie was rushed to the emergency vet after she began choking.

Her owner thought she had eaten a toy but X-rays revealed a knife, with the handle lodged in her intestines and the tip of the blade in her gullet.

The PSDA vet who has been caring for Macie since her operation said she was “extremely lucky to survive”…

…The puppy underwent immediate emergency surgery at an out-of-hours vet service in Glasgow to remove the knife while Ms Paisley, her partner and four children waited at home for news.

PDSA vet Emily Ronald, said: “I’ve never seen an X-ray like Macie’s. She was extremely lucky to survive. Her saving grace was that she swallowed the handle-end first – the blade-end would undoubtedly have pierced her organs, likely causing fatal injuries.

“The morning after surgery, she was bouncing all over the place as if nothing had happened. Macie has been back for frequent check-ups over the past two weeks and we’re pleased she’s recovering and healing well.”

I like dogs more than I like most people. Glad to see a happy ending.


  1. Sam L. says:

    Proof that dogs will eat anything. Glad the puppy survived it.

Write a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

12-week old puppy swallows 8-inch knife; expected to recover.

button to share on facebook
button to tweet
button to share via email