British Knife Laws: Hoplophobia Defined

British Knife Laws

Sometimes it’s good to just take a look around and realize how good you’ve got it. A quick look at U.K. knife laws illustrates this point, because most of us barbarian Yanks simply won’t believe the emasculated nanny-state restrictions that our British brethren have to live with. The following (incomplete) list of rules and regulations, taken straight from the www.uk.gov website, will make your head spin. Find a chair, take a deep breath, and make the jump for absolute insanity . . .

As a lawyer and civil libertarian, I am particularly chilled by Big Brother’s helpful comment “A court will decide if you’ve got a good reason to carry a knife if you’re charged with carrying it illegally.” That surely provides a lot of guidance.

And WTF does Big Brother have against the Japanese, other than Oceania’s long-running squabble with Eurasia? The craziness starts in 3…2…1…go:

Knives: the laws on buying and carrying

The laws about buying and carrying a knife depend on the type of knife, your age and your circumstances

Basic laws on knives

It is illegal to:

• sell a knife of any kind (including cutlery and kitchen knives) to anyone under 18
  • carry a knife in public without good reason – unless it’s a knife with a folding blade 3 inches long (7.62 cm) or less, eg a Swiss Army knife
  • carry, buy or sell any type of banned knife (the list of banned knives is below)
  • use any knife in a threatening way (even a legal knife, such as a Swiss Army knife)

Lock knives (knives with blades that can be locked when unfolded) are not folding knives, and are illegal to carry in public.

The maximum penalty for an adult carrying a knife is 4 years in prison and a fine of £5,000.

Good reasons for carrying a knife

Examples of good reasons to carry a knife in public can include:

• taking knives you use at work to and from work
  • you’re taking knives to a gallery or museum to be exhibited
  • the knife is going to be used for theatre, film, televison, historical reenactment or religious purposes (eg the kirpan some Sikhs carry)

Knives that are illegal

There is a complete ban on the sale of some knives:

• flick knives (also called ‘switchblades’ or ‘automatic knives’) – where the blade is hidden inside the handle and shoots out when a button is pressed
  • butterfly knives – where the blade is hidden inside a handle that splits in two around it, like wings; the handles swing around the blade to open or close it
  • disguised knives – eg where the blade is hidden inside a belt buckle or fake mobile phone
  • gravity knives
  • sword-sticks
  • samurai swords (with some exceptions, including antiques and swords made to traditional methods before 1954)
  • hand or foot-claws
  • push daggers
  • hollow kubotan (cylinder-shaped keychain) holding spikes
  • shuriken (also known as ‘death stars’ or ‘throwing stars’)
  • kusari-gama (sickle attached to a rope, cord or wire)
  • kyoketsu-shoge (hook-knife attached to a rope, cord or wire)
  • kusari (weight attached to a rope, cord or wire)

This is not a complete list of banned knives. Contact your local police to check if a knife is illegal or not.

Editor’s note: Thanks, mate!

comments

1. SubZ says:

Seems the only tools allowed in GB are in parliament.

1. Pat says:

And they are quite dull.

1. SouthernPatriot says:

Remember, a dull blade is more likely to cut you, than a sharp blade!

2. BigTex says:

I want a knife from whence the blade “shoots out!” Sounds like a cool feature.
    Numbskulls.

1. Somthingsomething Privacy says:

So-called “ballistic” knives were quite the thing in the ’80s. Supposedly a Russian design, they used a heavy spring to propel the blade maybe 15 feet as hard as a manual stab. Supposedly. Naturally, we got laws about ’em here as well. For a while, they were sold without springs, with, I’ve heard, specific instructions regarding exactly what size and weight of spring would be very bad for you to install, as well as possible places someone else but never you might be able to obtain such springs. Totally impractical and pretty much gone now. Now we have knives that inject your victim with high pressure CO2. Try justifying THAT to a jury….

3. Ing says:

Good Lord. That is crazy sauce right there. Before too long, they’ll be banning sticks and rocks too.

I wonder when they banned lockblades. I went to the UK in 2002 with a 2.75″ Kershaw lockblade in my checked luggage, put it in my pocket as soon as I got to my hotel, and carried it everywhere I went. I might have spent my entire visit as a criminal without even knowing it…

I loved it there, and I’d like to visit again sometime. It was a great place to be a criminal. 🙂

1. Colin says:

The locking knife restrictions boggle my mind as it’s really a safety feature. If someone wanted to stab somebody badly enough to actually do it, I’ll bet you they would find a way whether they have a locking knife or not. Cut fingers are an afterthought.

2. opieharper says:

I went to London just before the riots, and I had my 3.75” CRKT M16 Tanto in my pocket the whole time. I had known that it was considered a no-no, but I had no idea the penalty was so steep!

3. Tom from England says:

They banned carrying lock knives in 1988. Like you, I didn’t know that and only discovered it was an offence a couple of years ago. Yep – I was a criminal for over 20 years without even knowing it. The joke, of course, is that knife crime has gone up considerably since then.

It’s quite pathetic really, and I am embarrassed to admit I live in a country that is so scared of its own citizens.

1. SouthernPatriot says:

So far, here in the states, we only have one party which is scared of its law-abiding citizens, so we can vote those out of office fairly regularly, if those who are takers stay home from the polls.

1. Matt says:

hmmm southern patriot eh? actually if you think the republican party isn’t scared of its law abiding citizens then why is that party making voting so hard for law abding citizens? also jerry mandering? also they’re scared of what gay people do in their bedrooms. how about law abiding muslims? if you’re scope is gun laws, then, yes the democratic party is clearly less enthused about them, especially when it comes to automatic and semi-automatic weapons, but they have never said they want to ban all guns or knives. That is literally propoganda from the right trying to get people to side with them, which has been very effective over the years do to groups like the NRA who has a hissy-fit every time a democrat mentions the phrase “gun reform”

the situation in england is very different and much more conservative about weapons, and have been conservative on social issues as well. I think those things actually go together rather well, whereas I am completely confused by how republicans love guns and shooting wrong do-ers, like bears in schools (which you know is such a concern considering all the bear massacres that have occured) but hate civil liberties… they are kind of similar in a lot of ways. but no, guns good, Muslims and gays bad. where does that come from is it that you want to have guns to shoot gays and Muslims (which many people in the last year have actually died by terrible Americans who have done exactly that) if you think for one second that your party doesn’t have supporters that have done terrible things with guns, then your are willfully ignorant.

to be very clear its not that you or every conservative is a bad person. terrible actions can come from all different backgrounds and people, and it is regrettable, but that does not define an entire class of people. that goes for everyone. I know its been two years, but now that the fight is centered around immigration and nationalist economic policies that could hurt millions of law abiding americans of all races and sexualities, including yourself. I hope you can recognize that the same type of argument used against guns by democrats are being used against muslims and immigrants currently. if you care about freedom, then you should oppose the republican party in this endeavor, because that is not freedom, it’s discrimination.

it’s understandable that gun advocating republicans feared what others thought of them. you felt like others were trying to take away your rights. i get that. people have been doing that to me since I was born, on a personal level. putting me down trying to make me feel less than human for being gay. Trying to keep me from expressing myself consensually with others. I’m not a fucking snowflake, but I am who I am and I can’t change that I exist and continue to exist despite how many people wanted me dead. So you tell me there’s only one party that fears its law abiding citizens, you’re very wrong, there are two.

2. Willie Barber says:

The simple truth is that citizens in London are ordered to “run and hide” in order to survive a terroism attack. That is because they have no way to defend themselves Also, how do we know good muslims from bad muslims when they all read the same Koran that orders ” putting the sword to the necks” of infidels in 109 verses of the Koran? I sure hope those good muslims you speak of never read their Koran and then decide to obey the Koran as the so called “extremists” do. The truth is that the “good” muslims disobey their own bible. Don’t believe me? Google ” 109 verses in Koran that commands Islam to kill” and read the verses yourself.

3. SouthernPatriot says:

Jerrymandering is an art form of the Democrat party in its history. The mentally addled Mdme. Waters who does not know what to say, except her handlers tell her, even in live press conferences, along with many other Democrats has a gerrymandered district that travels along a major road, skipping numerous white neighborhoods and coming down in the midst of black neighborhoods again and again.

2. Bob Ellis says:

It’s news to me about lock knives. I took one off my key fob last week because it was too bulky. Dangling from my belt for all the world to see!

4. Aharon says:

I’ve read reports that in the UK or it might just be England, 25% of the youths arrested are found with a concealed kitchen knife. There are calls by various politically powerful factions to either ban kitchen knives or require them locked up with only the parent or adult guardian having access to them.

Winston Churchill warned sixty-years ago about society eventually going nuts with such loonie nanny-state thinking…

5. Leon says:

I’ll start by stating I am a licenced gun owner and have collected blades off and on for most of my adult life.

I have worked in security in the UK for 3 years. My experience stems from the court system and I have seen the worst examples of what people can become.

Over here we have a certain element of society that does not seem to have a couterpart in the US (I lived over there for about 5 years also). They go by the names of “Chavs”, “Neds” etc. They come about from demented generations of parental unemployment and drug abuse (heroin) They most often come from “housing Estates/Schemes” (Projects) and are usually dressed in hoodies and track suits and their attitudes towards everyone is that of a predator.

You can go out minding your own business and get stabbed for no apparent reason than they just thought it was fun. They do not think like normal human beings and have no respect for anyone appart from their own social hierarchy. They are not like American gangs, in that they operate not for drug proffits but for the buzz of the act. This has led to a knife crime problem as that is their preffered tool. (Locking blades being the most popular)

Now most of the laws here relate to carrying a knife “with undue reason” in a public place. Not all knives are banned from sale just look on any UK web site where knives are for sale to see what you can get.

Now what is really sh***y over here is we are NOT allowed to adequately deffend ourselves from attackers as we are expected to use equal force against the attacker. I mean when the **** has that ever worked?

I have lived and worked in both countries and the UK is way more “pysically violent”. In the US people assume that you are either armed or have a real good lawyer so for the most part you can just keep your self to your self and be ok.

1. Colin says:

A “mexican standoff” is better than a one sided annihilation. The problem with laws like this is the people who follows them are likely to be the law abiding citizens that you’re trying to protect, not the demented attackers.

6. Leon says:

Just thought I’d add that the Japanese sword thing is popular with gangs in London, Manchester and Birmingham.
    Sword canes are not illegal to own you can still buy them just not carry them in a public place.

The knife basically is that you can have a non locking blade of 3″ or under in a public place and not have to give reason as it is legal anything else and that reason has to be as part of tools for your job or a hobby such as fishing or hunting. Obviously carying a KA BAR through the town center and you will have a very difficult time explaining to a court why you have it in your possesion outside of your own domain. On private land its up to you what you carry.

If you are a tourist with a lock knife the police will most likely let you off with a caution provided you dont give them attitude.

7. Pat says:

At least the thugs and hooligans can have them.
    Socialist Democracy…..sheesh.

1. Leon says:

Well Labor is the socialist and the Conservatives are capitalist and both are run by the freemasons so tell me who is really running the show over here or over there for that matter.

Just like Obama, isnt he a Jonsons Hall Mason or something like that? and most of your presidents have been masons.

All of these political figres are brotherhood boys thats why things never change even if the party in charge does. “Meet the new boss same as the old boss”

They all answer to JehovaBalOsirisHorus the hidden hand with many names.

1. Ing says:

Give it time; Big Brother still has some growing up to do.

8. J.Doe says:

Well, there’s always flathead screwdrivers, toothbrushes, ice picks, etc. The sky is the limit really.

1. Ing says:

I hadn’t thought of that. My garage is chock-full of ready-made shivs.

9. Bob says:

I won’t go anywhere I can’t carry a concealed kyoketsu-shoge!
    “Throwing stars or “death stars” wtf?

No wonder these people riot so much, these laws are complete BS.

1. opieharper says:

Plus the Death Stars are no match for the force. Lol.

10. Bill from over the Hill says:

I spent 3 years in England in the 80’s. I came to admire much about their lifestyle and courage however now I just pity them for the slaves they have become.

11. Bladeless says:

Just returned from 1 week vacation in London. Beautiful city to take my family to see the sights. Our last night we decided to experience the London Eye (extremely large Ferris wheel over looking London). As we came to the base of the ride they asked for back packs to go through the airport style scanner then proceeded to wand me while asking if I had any flammables or sharps. I pulled out my 3.5″ SOG lock back and showed the security guy. At this point I was informed that this type of knife is illegal in England and it is being confiscated. I was led to a desk and had to fill out my name, address and sign that I understood if caught with an illegal knife in England again I could face criminal procecution.

After the initial shock and completing the ride I started feeling more sorry for the English citizens than for me losing an $80 knife – replacement arrives in 2 days!

1. J.S. says:

EXACTLY THE SAME THING HAPPENED TO ME A COUPLE OF WEEKS AGO AND I TOLD THEM TO GO AHEAD AND CALL THE POLICE, I INSISTED. I ALSO TOLD THEM THAT IT WOULD DO WONDERS FOR THEIR TOURIST TRADE TO HAVE AN AMERICAN THROWN IN JAIL FOR A 2 INCH LOCKBACK PEN KNIFE AND I REFUSED TO SIGN ANYTHING. ANOTHER MAN IS CALLED IN AND I TOLD HIM I WANT TO BE ARRESTED THAT I WOULD TAKE THIS THING VIRAL. THEY RELENTED AND GAVE THE KNIFE TO MY WIFE WHO WAS NOT IN LINE FOR THE RIDE. ASSHOLES

2. lecap says:

Same thing happened at the Eiffel Tower in 2016. Only it was AN OPINEL #6 the bozos stole. WTF? You can’t carry a FRENCH knife in France!! :-/ All of Europe is scared shitless and the sheeple have handed over their rights to the nanny state. We see how well that’s working for them: BOOM BOOM BOOM, not to mention plenty of stabbings, beatings, etc.

12. Canuck says:

Just spent three days in London, had a fine Italian made lock blade with a 1 1/2 inch blade,I carried it through security unto the Queen Mary 2 in New York, no problem. Leaving London for Paris on the Eurostar, knife was confiscated by security because it was a lock blade, even though it was small. I tried to reason with them to no avail. What a ridiculous law. Someone will probably take it home with them.

1. Chris Dumm says:

You’ll have a warm welcome if you ever cross the pond!

1. PR24 says:

God bless Spyderco! They still have their UK Legal knife line, albeit smaller than a year ago. But at least they have them.

13. SmokeHillFarm says:

Part of Britain’s problem is simply bad breeding. After two horrendous world wars that killed literally the best and the brightest of two generations, what was left to repopulate? Cowards, raft dodgers, perverts who couldn’t serve, and those with medical and/or mental problems. Not exactly a choice gene pool.

Add this sad situation to a series of worthless socialist governments that encouraged its people to live in welfare state, dependent on the government instead of themselves, and you end up with something headed quickly toward a 3rd world country. Add in a completely uncontrolled immigrant population — from the most useless populations available — and a once-great Empire quickly circles the drain.

It’s very sad, but it’s way too late to fix it.

14. PR24 says:

The lunatic knife laws across the pond are idiotic & misguided. Do it like we do in the colonies with regards to convicted felon status: felony record=no firearms. Get caught with one, means hoosegow! At least the honest folks can have their guns vs. the outright bans on all things dangerous like the UK has for all subjects of the realm. Why can’t London do something similar for convicted knife turds??

Here in sunny AZ we literally have no knife laws, that’s right- none! Guess what? Very little knife crime (people are packing guns usually) but regardless, it’s not an issue. Citizens have open & concealed carry of firearms & law enforcement have exemptions for carrying their firearms off duty; see ARS 38-1102. The end result is this, most part 1 crimes are committed by some SFB against another SFB. Innocent victims are not the norm thank god! It’s a dealer “collecting taxes” from a doper, or one tweeker ripping another tweeker, gangsta vs. gangsta….you get the point, no innocent victims there.

I feel bad for my ancestral home. It will take the entire kingdom to rise up & make A LOT of noise to change things there.

1. lecap says:

That’s all fine and dandy, until you realize that before long EVERYONE is going to be a “felon”. Simply signing a government document with a single typo is actually a federal felony. Look it up, if you don’t believe me! Sanity has gone out the window worldwide. 🙁

15. AJ187 says:

Wouldn’t visit that crappy country or it’s annexed bits if it were free.

16. Pete says:

I do love the irony in a bunch of yanks pointing fingers and laughing at the English legal standpoint on weapons. Considering you have some 20,000 death a year from firearms alone not to mention knifes and other weapons it’s actually laughable that you should take the moral high ground on this issue

1. There are roughly 11,000 non-suicide firearms deaths/year. the overwhelming majority are felon on felon (who cannot legally own guns). The number of homicides by previously law abiding citizens and involving non-felon victims is probably about 4000 or so. I am basing this on comparing the # of murders in urban vs rural states (i.e. gang-related violence. Domestic violence, and crimes of passion are likely distributed evenly across states)

Out of 325 million people or so.

1. Bea Hall says:

Don’t forget that of the 11,000 or so non-suicide firearm deaths/year, over 3,000 of them are committed by illegal aliens.

2. Tom from England says:

It’s about knives, not firearms. It’s about the patronising laws on knives that actually reinforce the notion that a knife is not a tool but always a weapon and that focus entirely on the instrument, not the person using it.

But, hey – enjoy your laughter

1. Jim says:

The british people have traded what little freedom they may have had for membership in the new world order of slaves.
        During WW ll facing the threat of German invasion had no guns in private hands for the people to defend themselves so they made a plea the the American people to send any spare guns or ammo to so they could fight.
        Americand sent thousand of their personal firearms to the british government to give to the people to defend their families and homeland from the nazis if attacked. Americans came to the british people’s aid and saved them from German slavery with our blood. When Germany was defeated and their sorry asses saved instead of returning our firearms the we lent to them they dumped them in the ocean. That,s how they thanked us. The british can all go to hell or stay in England which has become the same thing for anyone who values freedom.
        You can do an internet search “send a gun to england” and read the whole sad story from that period of time.

1. A. Brown says:

My parents and their siblings and many other people I have known lived/fought in what we now know was the Rotchild fomented WW’s. I never heard of the begging for guns from Americans for families here. I bet very very few people here even heard that the gov of the time did that, let alone received any. All the conversations i’ve had about if the Germans had invaded, if members of the public had known about it then at least one or two would have mentioned it during those conversations. It must have been a part of whipping up the sentiment of Americans against the Germans in preparation for dragging your nation into a war that was in reality about a further mass genocide of particularly European type people. If only our forebears had known even a quarter of what we now know. That as Conthem-man said a few years ago they are “all in it together”. They always were – Roosevelt, Churchill, Mao, Stalin, Rotchild ilk and at least all European royals, but probably some non-European royals also. After all, they are all related to Moses, it seems and won’t marry outside their tribe.

I doubt those guns were dumped in the briney. That would have been the same as throwing money away. I wouldn’t mind betting they were sold in the UK and/or abroad.

I am sorry to read about that, though. Another dirty trick done in our name – even though without my peoples knowledge or consent.

3. JTD says:

US firearm deaths are more like 25,000 per year. 5000 of those deaths are self defense. 12,000 of those deaths are police shoots. 1000 deaths are accidental. You are more likely to get shot by a cop than shooting yourself. The remaining 9,000 are murders. 9,000 murders divided by the total US population of 330,000,000 = .000027 of one percent. Statistically it doesn’t happen. I live in New Mexico, not to be confused as a providence of Old Mexico, we NM’s enjoy our second amendment rights (The Right To Keep And Bear Arms) with little restrictions. As a matter of fact, we own 75mm cannons, flame throwers, tanks, machine-guns, .50 Cal rifles, etc no mayhem here. Are we Yanks paranoid? You bet! Until human nature changes we are keeping our ability to defend ourselves. Now if you want to hang in South Chicago, New York’s Bronx or Miami’s Little Cuban then you may get what you deserve. I’ll be in London this Sunday. Good day.

1. SouthernPatriot says:

Sheffield knives restricted? Some of the best chef knives in the world. I could not be without my chef’s knives. And I keep them VERY sharp (and keep my fingers away!).

I live in a state with open carry laws, easy concealed carry, and few, if any limitations. Everyone I know is a member of NRA, and my brother and others are lifetime members,

The incidents of guns used in homoside are stasticaslly insignificant. If sanity prevailed with Democrats running the inner cities of America (Atlanta, Chicago, Miami, New Orleans) and black on black murder was lessened or eliminated, the statistics would be even more insignificant.

4. Michael McDonnell says:

You idiots are getting slaughtered in the streets of London.

17. SouthernPatriot says:

Self-defense is one of the paramount principles underlying numerous laws, but is basic to our Second Amendment. State laws passed by Republican majorities (governors and legislature) also incorporate the Castle laws which is derived from British Common Law. Anyone forceably
    entering a another’s home can be forcefully resisted even with terminal force. That spreads the definition of self-defense to one’s home and family, a little beyond normal self-defense.

So far. knives are not so regulated in the states, but not allowed on flights and in court houses, etc. In my state, we easy concealed carry laws (requiring a small fee for a training course on gun safety) and open carry laws, so one can carry rifles, and other long guns on gun racks in your own pick up truck and most judges and prosecutors do this since they go hunting early in the morning before work (during appropriate seasons). An open displayed gun on the passenger seat is also legal with no special license in my state.

Sugar cane knives (machetes) are readily available and fairly common in some areas to combat nutria and snakes. Most people I know carry pocket knives and those can be from normal size, a few smaller ones, and more larger ones that eventually punch holes in one’s pocket. A local tailor mentioned when I was having a suit altered and I asked for longer pockets, that he did more pocket repairs and alterations than anything else because of the heavy and large pocket knives carried by many men (and that implies more businessmen, than other groups).

18. Tracy says:

To me, it has the same problems as do gun laws. The only people who follow these laws are abiding citizens. Criminals don’t follow the law.

19. SouthernPatriot says:

Gun and knife laws are more than stupid, they are dangerous. Many law abiding people will obey the “No Guns Beyond this Point” or similar signage. Criminals and the mentally ill along with Muslim terrorists ignore the signs (or cannot read) or intentionally violate the law. So, the only armed people are the criminals, mentally ill and Muslim terrorists. So given that real scenario, what do you think will happen to the unarmed people? Won’t they be robbed, shot, maimed, and killed?

20. Chuck says:

I don’t want to live like that and if anyone here wants that crap just go live there. Keep that Britt nonsense in the U.K. They can’t understand why we ave the right to keep and bare arms that’s because they are sheep. When that soldier was getting his head hacked off in the town of Woolrich, the sheepeople just stood and watched. That would never happen here….no way no how.

21. Bob says:

Matt, you misrepresent (lie about) what people say, and then attack them based upon your mischaracterization of them. Quit smoking that stuff. It will truly rot your mind.

22. SouthernPatriot says:

Thank God and American patriots that we have the U.S. Bill of Rights and U.S. Constitution, an envy the world over. It is being chiseled and attacked almost daily by the leftists and statists in both parties and the sycophants in the media. Vigilance and determination, perseverance, is all needed to defend our God-given rights as enumerated in our Bill of Rights. Former British subjects, our founders, made sure we did not have the laws that pervaded England at the time and is even far worse today.

My Sheffield knives would not be allowed for me to carry into the UK now. I could purchase them and have them shipped to me from the UK but not carry them, nor could I carry my lock blade pocket knife without it being confiscated.

23. Steve says:

Yeah good old crazy UK where we’ve not had a school shooting for over 20 years.

What sort of a fucked up country doesn’t arm it’s people with knives and guns!?

1. captain says:

Sheep Steve apparently just doesn’t get it, and is bleating the party line. It’s sad that he has such a wicked mind that certain tools, to him, can ONLY be used for evil, and therefore must be taken away from everyone. 1984 was set in England, the same country that would now be part of Germany had people with guns and knives not come from the United States to save them …. Alas, the same attitude is growing in the “land of the free and the brave”, but we have been making headway, thanks in large part to https://kniferights.org/ If you care about your rights, make a donation to https://kniferights.org/ The easiest way is to simply purchase the KnifeRights app on the App Store

24. Lisabela Marschild says:

Bill of Rights eh, constitutional rights.

So many of you Statesiders talk a lot about your rights and your right to defend your homes

So the Gay man and his Husband can legally shoot any nutjob from the far right wing christian fundamentalist lynchmob gathered at his door trying to break in and violently deny him and his husband their freedom and right to live and love and marry and have sex with whosoever they wish of whichever gender as long as they are consenting adults.

The Male to Female transexual can shoot her attackers from the same crowd if she has a concealed carry permit.

1. Eskiejake says:

Lisabela, what are you even talking about? Your little LGBT rant falls flat. To answer your question tho, yes, a gay couple has every right to defend themselves and so does a transgender person. I’d actually encourage them to do so. The only thing I will say about the knife debate in the UK is the same I thing I say about the anti-gun movement in the US. The numbers are virtually insignificant when compared to the total populations. Stripping law abiding peaceful citizens of more and more rights in a losing attempt to eliminate the problem is foolhardy. Humans are animals and there will always be deviants that seek to harm others and will do so by whatever means available. Hence, stripping me of the ability to defend myself is unacceptable and I will resist it every way I can.

2. Brandon says:

Yes, dumbass. That’s the whole point. Each individual has the right to defend himself and his family and property. Your pathetic little “gotcha” falls flat, like most straw men.

25. Dave S says:

A “good reason” to carry a knife is provided by the 1689 bill of rights, where it says “all protestants shall be allowed arms for their defense”. The policeman persecuting you will try his best to get you to voluntarily surrender your blade and admit your guilt, criminal deception and violent intimidation are his preferred tools, but it is your RIGHT. One of the things the plod will say is that the 1689 Bill of Rights is old law and has been implicitly repealed by later laws such as the VCR act, but it hasn’t, it’s a constitutional act and therefore requires a specific act of repeal (constitutional acts are not subject to the doctrine of implied repeal, Lord Justice Laws, Thoburn v Sunderland City Council). They simply won’t let the case go to court, last thing they want is their bogus knife laws overturned and everyone carrying swords.

1. captain says:

Dave,
      Thanks to Doug at kniferights.org, we, perfectly legally, carry swords here in Texas! And thanks to the namby-pamby Peoples Republic of Austin not giving a shit about keeping the sidewalks clear of brush, it’s a necessity if you want to walk around the neighborhood. ;-p
      Sadly, the school district is still living in the past, and harasses/bullies/shames parents who openly carry perfectly legal knives (Less than 5.5″ blade… swords are still not legal on school/church/hospital grounds for some silly reason)
      PS: I don’t think of my knives, not even my swords, as weapons. They’re tools. I’m an engineer, not a fighter. 🙂

And LisaBela,
      You seem to have a violent bone. No one should be shooting Anyone! If you don’t have self-control over your thoughts and emotions, please don’t arm yourself, and please leave others alone to live their lives in peace.

26. Johannes Kepler says:

WTF is wrong with you people?

Yes, British knife laws are among the very strictest in the world

and quite rightly so –
    We all want to be able to move around without the fear of some lunatic wandering around with knives hidden on them.

1. captain says:

By all means, emasculate the Brits! NHS certainly won’t address the mental illnesses that create the lunatics! Much better to emasculate, and leave so helpless they can’t even have a successful picnic, an entire population than to deal with the extremely rare cases of mental illness… although, with all that Royal inbreeding, it may not be so rare over there. ;-p
      Y’all’re just jealous of our freedom. Always have been. I have been reading the Federalist Papers, and it is eye-opening.

27. DannyG says:

I am one of those who has wandered around th UK with my usual knife in my day pack blissfully unaware of my criminal status. Honestly, my stout walking stick would be more useful for any type of confrontation than the knife would have been. Sad that honest people have to worry when criminals wouldn’t think twice.

28. T. Robert Wolfram says:

It takes very little effort, and not too much in the way of workshop tools to make a perfectly functional knife, Mr. Kepler, and all within the capabilities of a determined lunatic. In the face of that inconvenient fact, what law do you propose to make your daily perambulations completely and eternally safe? How will you enforce it? What will you do if the lunatic eschews knives and merely lets his fingernails grow long enough to gouge and blind when he attacks without warning? This is not far-fetched; in a previous life, I dealt with inmates who wanted to do that very thing.
    No law written by humans effectively alters human nature one iota, and those rare few who intend you grievous harm will achieve their ends by ignoring any legislative impediment you can dream up. Wishful thinking about banning knives and criminalizing self defense will do nothing but ensure that if you are attacked, you can only be wonderfully surprised because you refused to see it coming.
    Your country is perfectly free to ban anything it wants – and you are perfectly free to applaud those bans. The rest of us are perfectly free to laugh at you.

29. A. Brown says:

I don’t know about London now. We moved away in the late 1990’s. However, from what we generally hear, guns and knives are most often used by violent criminals against violent criminals there and in other crime hotspots.
    I don’t know how appropriate it is for those in London today. I was brought up that carrying a knife was more dangerous than not, and it was generally better to know a bit of ju jitsu or similar because even if a robber used a knife he would be more likely to use it if his intended victim or bystander also pulled out a blade. My father’s advice was to not argue or cheek, just give them the money or even whole purse (handbag), be ready to use ju jitsu if necessary in order to step out of high heels and run as fast as possible toward where people would be, screaming loud all the way.
    Thankfully, I never had occasion to have to use that advice.
    These days, I legitimately carry an aluminium walking stick. I doubt it would be of much use except to confuse someone maybe for long enough to save myself, or for them to lose nerve and run.

30. Michael Dinsdale says:

I’m English. Retired. I have carried a knife since my grandfather gave me a pocket knife and taught me how to use it safely when I was about 6 years old. More than 60 years ago. I’ve traveled all over the world, working mostly. And have a small collection. I have never used one in anger or other than as a tool the only person I’ve cut is me. I’m embarrassed that we have fools in decision making positions that do not understand you can’t protect the public by banning things. That only creates a market. Almost anything can be used as a weapon. And has been. Every domestic kitchen is an arsenal. Every street is littered with potential weapons. We have to address the causes of violence. Teach that it’s about making choices to respect others as yourself. The harder options are not using violence. While true self defence is essential and not a crime. If only they had a grandfather as caring as mine.
    My EDC is a cheap Buck Stockman. I won’t be parted from.

1. captain says:

Michael Dinsdale, unless you have snapped off the tips of your longest blades, you’re a criminal in the UK! The Buck Stockman has a blade of 3 3/8 inches, and British law considers anything not UNDER 3 inches a felony! I’m surprised that you haven’t had that knife stolen by the government, or some art gallery busybody. I had my FRENCH Opinel pocket knife stolen by the FRENCH “security” at the Eiffel Tower.
      Personally, I don’t like folding blades that don’t lock securely in place. I consider a loose blade a dangerous blade.

1. Mike says:

My Buck stockman Uk Model longest blade is 2 3/4”
        I agree about the locking blades but needs must so I value technique as much as my fingers.
        It’s not as bad as you report. Police don’t randomly stop and search unless there’s a reason. And if you have a good reason to carry a knife. Like “ I’m a gardener”. And I can prove it
        Our laws. Relate to not.caring a concealed weapon in public. So you can own a sword. But not take it under your coat to a bar. Which I agree with. But there are so many things that might be used as a weapon. It doesnt really make sense. I have a little land. I can do what I want on my property within reason. Just have to remember to empty my pockets when I go out.

1. captain says:

I don’t I think that I would survive long under those Procrustean rules. I wear a 6 inch B.o.B survival knife on my belt at all times. I feel naked without it, but I don’t think about it enough to “remember to take it off” for certain activities, and I do not have a government issued license to garden. Fortunately, we can carry full-size swords, among many other useful tools, here without any legal problems. Having a government that respects your God-given freedom is nice. 🙂

31. Tony B says:

What would be safer, the Justice of the Court, or the “justice” of some attacker?
    Do not attack me, you will get a surprise, and I will be the one walking away.
    I am a Gardener, but only part-time.