CNN: Knives ‘Insane’ On Airplanes

When CNN starts rapping like Cypress Hill, it’s perfectly reasonable to wonder what they’ve been smoking. In this case, CNN contributor Bob Greene is shouting like Chicken Little that April 25th is the beginning of The End Of The World As We Know It. That’s the day, of course, that the TSA will resume permitting small pocketknives in the passenger cabin of airliners.

Greene predictably waves the bloody shirt of 9/11 victims, and also suggests that Blades On A Plane will cause airborne carnage during the busy summer travel season:

Summer is coming, and with it flights that are jammed to capacity, passengers who are irritable and hot, delays that make blood pressure rise. It won’t even have to be a terrorist — just a drunken, enraged or emotionally disturbed passenger who has been given permission by the government to bring a knife along with him.

Heaven and saints forfend….

comments

1. Matt in FL says:

These people are idiots. I’m in my mid-30s,and I’m old enough to remember when the informal rule (maybe it was formal) was that if the knife could fit inside your closed fist, it was good to go. That’s what my dad based the first (and second) knives he ever gave me on. If I’m old enough to remember that and the carnage that did not ensue, then Bob Greene, Chuck Schumer, and the CEO of Delta certainly are as well.

The other thing that makes this uproar ridiculous is that, while as this article is quick to remind us, “it was passengers carrying blades, of course, who carried out the 9/11 attacks,” the fact is that an attack like that will never work again, for two unimpeachable reasons. First, locked cockpit doors. Second, the American flying public wouldn’t let it. They have seen what happened, learned from it, and I’m confident stating that if someone tried something like that again, they’d be gang-tackled forthwith.

And my tiny Kershaw Chive is still “checked baggage only.”

2. Aharon says:

Flying will be safer with most of the passengers carrying knives.

3. jwm says:

Pre 9/11 I routinely flew with at least my SAK in my pocket. Considering that you simply boarded the plane without the TSA group grope you would have thought we would have seen all sorts of carnage in the air. Didn’t happen.

Now, with TSA security, I only fly in a have too situation. And I’m real picky about what I consider a have too.

I carry about 4-6′ of paracord. Might need it someday for a tourniquet.

1. VaqueroJustice says:

Two rolls of quarters in a sock, maybe inside a sock inside another sock.

5. dwb says:

what enquiring minds want to know is what is the BEST knife that meets the TSA restrictions.

6. Gary says:

Have a few of the fiberglass/plastic hybrid knives that don’t make the detectors go bonkers and have gotten onto a few flights with them. The planes didn’t magically turn into murder carnivals because I was armed, and if anyone had tried something I had a tool with which to stop it. When will people learn that arming themselves is the best way to make their lives safer?