DKU: Middle-aged Mormon Ninja Bishop edition

130424070934_samurai-bishop

Kent Hendrix, a Mormon Bishop and Martial Arts instructor, recently rushed to the aide of a neighbor in distress armed only with his Samurai Sword. (Photo from AP)

I am not a member of the LDS church, but I have always maintained that you can not ask for better neighbors than the Mormons.  My wife and I lived in a small town (533 people) in Idaho for several years, and more than 60% of those around us practiced the Mormon faith.  I could always count on more help than I needed if I ever asked for a hand. However, nothing my neighbors did for me holds a candle to the actions of Kent Hendrix.  Mr. Hendrix, a Mormon Bishop in Salt Lake City, recently thwarted an attack on one of his neighbors – while wielding a 29 inch Samurai sword.

From FoxNews.com:
Hendrix, 47, was awakened by on of his sons pounding on his door and yelling that someone was being mugged in their front yard.  As it turns out, a woman was being attacked by a stalker who had jumped her when she exited her house.  Hendrix, a martial arts instructor who has been practicing with swords for over 20 years, grabbed the sword and rushed to the woman’s aide:

“His eyes got as big as saucers and he kind of gasped and jumped back,” Hendrix said by phone Tuesday afternoon. “He’s probably never had anyone draw a sword on him before.”

The man ran down the street with the barefoot Hendrix and others in pursuit. Hendrix said he couldn’t catch the man before he fled in his car, but he picked up ChapStick that the man dropped and memorized his license plate.

“I yelled at him, `I’ve got your DNA and I’ve got your license plate: You are so done,”‘ Hendrix said.

The suspect, 37-year-old Grant Eggersten, turned himself in to police an hour later, said Unified Police Lt. Justin Hoyal. He was booked on charges of robbery, attempted burglary, trespassing and violation of a stalking injunction.”

It turns out that Hendrix never needed to swing the sword.  However, as is so often the case, the cowardly thug remembered he had somewhere else to be when confronted with armed resistance.

“That kind of thing doesn’t happen every day,” Hendrix said. “Our neighborhood is a pretty quiet place.”

A fourth-degree black belt in the Kishindo form of martial arts, Hendrix owns a collection of swords and weapons that he trains with, said his wife, Suzanne Hendrix. He has trained with the sword he used Tuesday for 20 years and keeps it by his bed.

“Some people have bats they go to,” said Hendrix. “I have my sword.”

Kudos to Mr. Hendrix.  I prefer GunFu myself.  But then again, I have neither trained with swords, nor have I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express lately.

comments

1. foggy says:

A DBU (defensive blade use), but the antis will say that it never happened because he didn’t cut the perp.

2. Matt in FL says:

Somehow I think I’d be more scared of a serious looking guy with a sword than a guy with a gun. If I try to put the reason into words, it goes something like “I’m probably dead either way, but with a sword it’s gonna hurt a lot more getting there.”

1. jwm says:

With a gun there’s a chance, no matter how slight, that the gun will malfunction or misfire in some way. A sword works and even if the user is unskilled if he’s determined he’s going to hurt you, badly.

Besides, at least in my case, there’s something visceral and primitive about a bladed weapon that brings out my desire to run like hell.

1. int19h says:

I’ve heard from some soldiers who served in Iraq that they found bayonets to be very handy for crowd control (at checkpoints etc), precisely because they would command much more fear and respect than a “mere M4”.

I suspect this has something to do with bladed weapons to be more recognizable to basic nature tech – teeth and claws. We have millions of years of evolution to hardwire into us an instinctive fear of that kind of stuff, and only hundreds of years of conscious learning for the same with respect to firearms.

1. jwm says:

That’s as good an explanation as any I’ve heard. Dead is dead, but ask people would they rather be shot or stabbed and my guess is the majority would pick shot.

2. All you need is a Rebel Yell and cold steel…

3. Pat says:

And dont forget that many criminals think you wont pull the trigger, but will stick them.

3. slow says:

Bad guy probably had to change underwear before turning himself in.

1. jwm says:

That wasn’t a blood trail the good guys were following down the street. Just sayin’.

4. Ralph says:

That’ll teach the bad guy that you can’t beat the bishop. Not in public.

5. Chris Dumm says:

Clay beat me to this story; I would have taken a Highlander or Pulp Fiction angle. The funniest moment in all of Pulp Fiction is when Bruce Willis passes up the gun and the bat to grab the sword, before he goes back for revenge.

6. Pat says:

I got a 22″ short Katana (easier to swing in hallways and shorter ceilings) under the bed. You cant grab it like a baseball bat and it can stab, slice, and chop (or break bones on the backside).