Question of the Day: How did you use your knife this weekend?

machete

Free people have an inalienable right to employ any tool in the pursuit of just ends.

If you were like me, you used several tools in the course of your weekend’s endeavors.  Spring has fully exploded here in Tennessee and I took advantage of the weather to put in my vegetable garden.

If you have been following my posts, I have a recurring theme of separating tools from actions.  I used a couple of knives to cut open bags of mulch, I cut cord for lashings, strips of cloth to tie up my tomatoes, and numerous other tasks.  I used a machete to hack away at some kudzu that is encroaching onto my property.  When I looked at the 2lb ball-peen hammer I was using to drive posts, I was reminded of something I saw in a documentary one time.  Apparently, the Hell’s Angels like to carry ball-peen hammers because they are not legally considered weapons in an impromptu police search.

A machete is an incredibly useful tool.  I have used one for everything from clearing brush to digging geology test pits in Kenya (where it is called a “panga” btw).  But like any tool, in evil hands it can be used for unspeakable atrocity.  Thousands of people have been slaughtered with machetes in places like Rwanda, Nigeria and the Sudan.

In the hands of an honest and competent person, no tool is a danger to others when employed in a responsible manner.  As free people we have an inalienable right to use whatever tools we choose to use in an ethical way in our pursuit of happiness.

So my question is this:

How did you use your knife or other similar tools this weekend?

comments

1. BigTex says:

Broke down boxes. Cleared weeds. Harvested asparagus. Plus various kitchen and cooking things like slicing, chopping, peeling, coring, paring.

1. Mason says:

Went camping. Used a Becker BK9 to chop firewood, had a side by side test of a Cold Steel Master Hunter and Gerber Big Rock for light chopping (delimbing), cooking uses, and general camp tasks. My EDC Spyderco Endura4 FFG made an appearance to poke a few holes in some gallon jugs of water to douse the fire.

1. Aharon says:

Beckers are great knives. I own a BK2 and a BK5. Somewhere around here I might have a Gerber Big Rock.

2. Loyd says:

Used my Coast Rapid Response 3.0 (my EDC) to open up the card board box the lawn mower came in.

3. Bob says:

Opened 4 bale-age wrappers and 10 square bales. Also threw it at a large rat (missed the rat but stuck the post nicely).

Leatherman e55Bx

1. “missed the rat but stuck the post nicely”
      Nice. Style points are important 🙂

4. Mr. Lighter says:

I used mine to open a few bales of hay. Later, my pistol had an issue where a casing got stuck in the breech, so I used my pocket knife to coax it out.

5. VaqueroJustice says:

Opened packages, the most important of which was a package of dark chocolate covered pomegranate, cut some paracord for a craft project, stripped some wire to help my beloved properly hook up our surround sound system, all kinds of stuff. And it wasn’t a particularly active weekend, either.

6. Steve in MA says:

Opened boxes at work. got a battery out of a remote.

7. Brandon says:

I went camping and our tent trailer had a bolt break. I was able to use my Leatherman MUT to remove the plate, remove the broken end of the bolt, and reassemble the part so we could finish another 3 days on our campout.

8. Christian says:

I went camping. I used the saw on my Leatherman Wave to cut some limbs to size for firewood. I used a Gransfors Bruks Small Forest Axe to split firewood to various sizes. And I used a Blind Horse Knives Woodsman Pro to split some matchstick sized pieces of wood and make fuzz sticks. Then I used the spine of the Woodsman Pro to strike a firesteel and get the whole thing going.