DSU Of The Week: Fresno Samurai Edition

File:Tachi-p1000626.jpg courtesy Wikipedia

An unnamed homeowner in Firebaugh, California armed himself with a Samurai sword and attacked two armed home invaders last Saturday night. By the time police arrived, robber Aaron Baeza’s corpse was ready for the medical examiner and the homeowner and his girlfriend were safe . . .

From the San Jose Mercury News:

FRESNO — Authorities say a central California homeowner killed a robbery suspect with a samurai sword during a home invasion.

The Fresno County Sheriff’s Office says two suspects armed with a handgun and an axe invaded a house in Firebaugh near Fresno in the middle of the night Saturday intending to rob the home.

The suspects, 34-year-old Aaron Baeza and 30-year-old Christopher Rupe, tied up the homeowner and his girlfriend and demanded money. They later freed the man to allow him to look for the cash.

The homeowner then stabbed and killed Baeza with his samurai sword.

Rupe escaped, remains at large, and is considered armed and dangerous. Investigators say he may be traveling with an unidentified Caucasian woman in a dark green Ford F-150 pickup, with a California license plate of 6T04402.

As with most defensive knife (or sword) uses, this should have been a DGU. Still, home carry, people. Even if it’s a sword.

comments

1. InBox485 says:

At least it wasn’t in California… oh wait it was. Our equivalent of the python was killed with a long knife and the person didn’t get 6 feet of sh!t for it… bigot.

2. dwb says:

A few years ago there was an incident in Baltimore where a Hopkins student confronted and killed a burglar in a garage with a Samurai sword. No charges, the Maryland AG ruled it to be self defense. If he had done it with a gun, well that’s questionable (its probably easier to make a case someone lunged at you when you are armed with a sword, since, well you have to be within a few feet to kill them). My only real thought when i read these stories is that I never want to be that close to an intruder.

3. Augur says:

“They later freed the man to allow him to look for the cash.”

Really, I know people are dumb in this town, but even these robbers should know better than that. At least there’s one less dirtbag in town. Glad the homeowner was unhurt.

4. ChuckN says:

Still waiting for CA to address these dangerous assault swords.

1. jwm says:

Sacremento is still trying to figure out if these swords have the shoulder thingy that goes up.

Can’t hook a bayonet to it!

1. Chris Dumm says:

But what if it has a grenade-launcher lug?

2. ChuckN says:

And what about microstamping?
          Will new swords have to comply?

2. Mark N. says:

Swords are actually legal in (most of) California (Los Angeles excepted). The only limitation is that they must be carried openly and not concealed. Try this only at home….

5. Aharon says:

Only in KKKalifornia will the media describe the race of the traveling companion (if white) though not that of the suspect.

I’m thinking about buying a mid-size Japanese sword (my b-day gift to myself) next month. Condor is hopefully going to ship out their new Tactana Sword 21″ blade in June. The sword will be full tang, 1075 steel, and have a micarta handle.

1. Aharon says:

Thank you! I’ve bookmarked the sword and will look into it.

1. sagebrushracer says:

I would be remiss if I did not point out the very nice swords at http://www.chenessinc.com/specialty.htm
      the Tiger Lilly has had my eye for quite some time. I am a happy owner of a Tenchi styled Katana in 9260 spring steel, and I can vouch for its authentic cutting ability, even it is a replica.

6. Duncan Idaho says:

Just be glad it wasn’t a high-capacity sword.

7. Glenn Billings says:

Chris you said,

” this should have been a DGU.”

I totally disagree. A knife or sword is a much more terrifying weapon than a gun.
    Even though I am for DGU’s, I would have loved to see the EYES of the robber just before he was “run-through” or Beheaded.
    Sniper shooting is distant and removed (not playing with words). But close in blade work is gritty.

1. Derek says:

Yup. I’m pretty sure I said this on the last DKU (Defensive Katana Use) but I’ll say it again. I’d probably take a sucking chest wound over being split from trap to sternum with a 3 foot razor blade.

8. คาบาลเถื่อน says:

Wow, awesome blog structure! How long have you been running a blog for?
    you make running a blog look easy. The overall glance
    of your site is magnificent, let alone the content!

1. Why thank you, Mr. Spambot. That is nice of you to say.

1. 2hotel9 says:

Damn, brah!!!! You done be made it. Spambots tagging your year old posts, too f*cking cool!

1. As the benevolent dictator of TTAK, I edited the comment to remove the hyperlink and email, and decided to be silly by leaving it up

For whatever reason (I am guessing it is all of the links that make it attractive to the spambots), the Blade Show Winners 2013 post draws the most spam. I am usually able to delete them within a few hours.