EDC For CCW: CRKT Otanashi Noh Ken Tactical Folder

Otanashi noh Ken, courtesy CRKT

Columbia River Knife And Tool released the James Williams-designed Otanashi Noh Ken earlier this year. This big tactical folder has a 4.5″ clip point blade of AUS8 steel and grips of black stainless and textured G10.

Designer Williams is a martial-arts trainer, and the Otanashi Noh Ken was designed at the request of SOCOM for a large yet concealable tactical knife with superior penetrating ability. This single purpose is fairly obvious from the blade design:it sure doesn’t look like a utility knife. The narrow clip point blade might look delicate, but it’s a beefy .16″ thick and secured by a liner lock and a manual lock.

Despite its size it looks surprisingly concealable, provided you’re a big enough guy: its folded length is nearly six inches, which can bottom out some pants pockets.

MSRP: $150. Street price about $125 delivered.

www.crkt.com

comments

1. JAS says:

Williams also designed a fixed blade knife for CRKT with the same blade geometry but even longer. One scary blade!

2. Dyspeptic says:

For a hundred and a half all you get for blade steel is AUS8? Disappointing. For that kind of moolah you should get VG10 or S30V. I just paid $70 for a Kershaw Junk Yard Dog Composite and got a cutting edge made from CPM D2. Scary sharp and cuts like a laser beam.

1. Pat says:

I don’t get it either, as to why expensive knives are made with AUS8?

3. jwm says:

I’ve only owned one CRKT. Bought it on impulse. It was too heavy and did nothing a lighter cheaper knife couldn’t do.

4. Randy Drescher says:

I would not buy a stabbing type knife for self defense & that would be the only reason I would carry a large knife like this. I prefer a slashing knife like a Karambit. These are hard knives to stop, Randy

5. Tim says:

While I like the look of this knife, IMHO, $125 is overpriced for a g-10/steel frame lock with Aus8 blade steel. My Spyderco paramilitary 2 was less expensive and has superior blade steel(CPM S30V). For a large, pointy, Aus8 knife with a strong lock, I’d go with a cold steel recon 1 or the like(street priced around $65-$70). Also, if im going to pay over $100 on a knife, I like to support USA labor. This CRKT is made in Taiwan. Cold steel is also produced in Taiwan. However Spyderco, Kershaw, ZT, Benchmade, ESEE as well as many others, have several USA produced blades at good price points. CRKT is low on my list of desirable knives.

6. janitor says:

my break down of this knife is as follows. 30.00 for the knife + 120.00 to have designer’s name written on it.

7. 2hotel9 says:

Ok, watched the vid. If the clip can be put on the opposite side so it is facing edge up in your fist when you open it, yea, we can talk. I’ll go $80, tops. Wouldn’t mind seeing this an inch shorter, though. As a PDW it would be a nasty surprise.