Knife Story: Florida Man With Knife Kills 18-Foot Burmese Python

Image courtesy Wikipedia

A Florida man (not shown) used a 9-inch knife to kill an 18-foot Burmese Python last month. Since Florida isn’t California, he even got an official thanks for helping rid the state of the largest Burmese Python ever captured in North America. Burmese Pythons, in addition to being large, aggressive and goddamned terrifying, are also an extremely destructive invasive species. There are several morals to this story, including ‘WTF Was He Thinking,’ ‘He’s Lucky He Wasn’t In California’, and ‘Bring Enough Knife‘ . . .

From NBC News:

Leon, a college student studying marine biology, said he was riding ATVs with friends in a rural area on May 11 when one of them spotted about three feet of snake sticking out of some brush.

Leon, who used to keep snakes, had never seen a python in the wild and decided to get up close and personal with this one. It wasn’t until he yanked him out that he realized how big it was.

As he held it by the neck, the female wrapped around his leg once, then twice and then headed for his waist. He kept grappling with it until he became worried it might sink its razor-sharp teeth into him.

A friend handed him a nine-inch knife and he sunk it into the snake, he said.

Two days later, Leon called wildlife officials, who took the snake and confirmed it was a record-setter. He agreed to donate the skeleton but has been promised the skin, which he plans to tan and put on his living room wall.

Officials said they are grateful the python is no longer roaming the wild and that Leon was not hurt.

“Anytime people are dealing with wildlife, we recommend they use common sense,” Segelson said. “If you’re going to approach a Burmese python of this size, you should have an understanding of what it takes to euthanize it.”

While knives are extremely useful tools, I think a Ford F-150 with studded snow tires would have been a better tool for taking out a nightmare-inducing monster like this one.

Click here for more photos.

comments

1. Chaz says:

Interesting comment in that Flickr photo link. Instead of killing the python apparently those folk and the snake should have just sung a few choruses of “Kum bah Yah.”

1. What part of invasive species did that reader/commentor not understand. The damage that pythons are doing to one of the most unique ecosystems in the world is staggering.

2. Aharon says:

I wish these media news stories that involve a gun or knife would include the make and model.

An American woman told me a story about her experience with snakes while living in Panama. During the night, the big snakes would be drawn to the paved roads which kept some of the day’s heat. The woman would be driving down the roads and each time she’d run over one of the pythons there would be a felt bump and then a “ker-thunk!” sound of the tires crushing the snake. Each time it happened the woman said she’d scream.

Half-seriously, if this story did occur in KKKalifornia the state would probably have found a reason to fine, prosecute, or otherwise punish Leon as a form of collective warning to the metro-sexual sheeple. The CA media would definitely attack Leon more aggressively than any snake could.

3. dwb says:

good job. just dont eat them, i read that the mercury levels are extremely high.

4. Dyspeptic says:

@ InBox485,

Spare us the California Uber Alles rhetoric and the juvenile invective OK? As a third generation resident of Crazyfornia I wholeheartedly support any and all criticism of this Libtard, ProgBot slave state by anyone, for any reason. I don’t know what makes you want to waste time defending such a terminally dysfunctional state but you should seriously consider thinking first, then writing your post. Or better yet, if this is the best you can do, just don’t post at all.

@ Chris Dumm,

I thought flaming was absolutely verboten on Mr. Farago’s websites. How did Inbox485 get a pass?

1. Chris Dumm says:

It’s not, and I appreciate the heads-up. I’m nursing a cold and I’m a little off my game; sorry for not catching this sooner.

Chris

Takes real smarts to grab a big snake in the bushes and pull it out to where it can wrap you up. One lucky not-real-smart guy.

California comment: Reminds me of a cartoon I saw a long time ago. Family in car on highway, approaching sign saying “Leaving California. Resume normal behavior.”

6. Mark N. says:

You must not live in LA. Muni ordinance limits you two a two inch folder, no fixed bladed knives, no swords. And just recently they tried (unsuccessfully) to prosecute someone who had a (legal) assisted folder, claiming that it was really an illegal switchblade.

1. Francois T says:

Glad to know that there are places in the US that are much more bureaucratoNazi than Canada; we usually get all the flaming.

Seriously, I can’t believe Californication are such tards regarding knives. Hell! I went to Northern Québec last summer to see my folks. Decided to hike for the village to the mountains for a 2-day trek. On the MOLLE side of my backpack, I had my ESSE Junglas, totally visible. Walked from my folks home, stopped at the grocery store, chatting with people having a good time. Even had a cop waiting in line at the register wishing me a good day.

And with the recent rumors of big changes to gun laws in Canada, I may even be able to bring my 1911 soon!