Navy SEAL Auctions Knife From Bin Laden Raid: Bidding Ends 5/15/13

The Navy SEAL known as “Mark Owen” is auctioning off the Emerson CQC-7 folding knife he carried on the Abbotobad raid that finally brought some measure of justice to Osama Bin Laden on 5/1/11. At press time, the highest bid stood at a cool five grand and if you want to up the ante, you’d better act fast: the auction closes on May 15 at precisely 20:00 hours . . .

Image courtesy Emerson Knives

“Mark Owen” is of course the pseudonym of the DEVGRU operator who wrote “No Easy Day: The Firsthand Account of the Mission that Killed Osama bin Laden.” The SEAL is donating all auction proceeds to a charity benefiting spec ops soldiers and their families.

Those who would be (understandably) skeptical that such a unique collectible would actually be auctioned should be reassured: the Daily Caller verified its authenticity by contacting none other than the knife’s creator, Ernest Emerson.

From the Daily Caller:

“I’m donating the knife because the owner of Combat Flip flops is a friend and when he told me about this auction, and all the good that the money raised was going to go towards, I wanted to help in any way that I could,” according to a statement attributed to Mark Owen on the auction site www.24fundraiser.com.

To confirm the authenticity of the knife, The Daily Caller contacted Ernest Emerson, the famed weapons expert who designed and created the knife.

Emerson told TheDC that he gave the knife to Owen, saying that Owen should “see that this serves a good purpose.”

“I placed the knife into his hands,” Emerson told TheDC. “He is known to me. … [The knife] is real, and it is his knife that was carried on the mission.”

Is it just me, or does five grand seem like a steal for an artifact of this provenance? And is it any coincidence that Emerson’s website already lists the CQC-7B-BT as sold out?

comments

1. Tim says:

Great story.

2. Matt in FL says:

I think it’s in poor taste.

1. scubamatt says:

I agree.

2. Jake says:

What about a Luger you know was looted from a corpse, or even someone who was on their knees about to be shot in the back of the head? I would snap one of those beauties up in a heartbeat. This was a tool in a kit, unused on the specified mission, sold for novelty value with profits being turned over to charity… I fail to see a single aspect that would cause this to be in poor taste. Maybe if it was say Osama’s turban or something.

1. Matt in FL says:

I suppose the charity thing mitigates it a bit, but then I start to lean towards silly, because it was never used. There were a million and one things that went on that mission that were never used (what about the remaining bullets from the magazine in the gun that killed bin Laden?); is someone going to try to sell more of them?

At least it’s going to charity, not to someone’s pocket.

I guess I agree that poor taste was an incorrect word choice. My gut reaction is more like, “Why? That’s dumb.”

3. Aharon says:

Osama was a terrorist and a political monster, and so was Bush and so is Obama. I’d pay $5K for the knife if I knew that I could re-sell it easily for a good profit. Politically, I see the current US fight with the Muslim extremists largely as a result of US imperialist meddling in foreign lands and cultures.

1. Duncan Idaho says:

Godwins law in 5… 4… 3…

Also, correct me if I’m wrong, but those remaining cartridges would be government property, right?

It would be a pretty cool thing to have, even more so since the money goes to charity, but I don’t think I’d drop five grand on it.

1. Aharon says:

I only would if I could recoup the money. I’d then pass on the profit to charity after an accountant figured out how much the IRS was going to steal.

4. Tom in Oregon says:

Just checked the bid site. it’s up to $25,400.00
    1345 hrs pacific time.

Price holding there at 8:07PM EDT.

6. 2hotel9 says:

MO ain’t needing cash his own self, and gives A LOT of what he brings in from his own enterprise to help widows and orphans of his fellow special operations brothers that I see nothing to criticize here. Hell. If he still has the boots and uniform from that day he should auction them, too.