New from Fremont Knives: Farson Blade Survival Tool

Fremont Knives' Farson Survival Tool (courtesy fieldandstream.com)

Knife makers are releasing new product info ahead of the Atlanta Blade Show. Fremont Knives‘ presser proclaims their new Farson Blade Survival Tool ”revolutionary.” And that’s because “the unique D-shaped configuration, thickness and blade shape allow the user chop, slice, skin and more, all while keeping their hand and fingers safely above the blade. This maximizes control while minimizing space.” Hard to argue the point without some serious T&E time (hint, hint). Anyway, by the Wyoming knife maker’s own admission, the Farson’s design is actually evolutionary . . .

Based on an ancient stone tool found near Farson, WY in the Red Desert, the Farson Blade Survival tool is perfect for cutlery chores around camp, as a survival blade and as a game processing tool.

Now available to anyone who needs to be prepared for outdoor activities or survival, the Farson Blade Survival Tool is light weight, compact, made from durable, weather resistant materials and provides unique versatility in extreme environments. At 3.5” X 5.5” X 5/32” it is compact enough to fit on a belt or in a pack, yet enables the user to chop kindling, skin large game, use as a hatchet or assist with food preparation.

The handle is wrapped with eight feet of 550 lb. paracord, invaluable in many wilderness or survival situations. The patent pending design is truly unique, is made of high carbon stainless steel with a hardness of 56-58Rc and has an attractive glass-bead finish. MSRP for the Farson Blade Survival Tool is $59.99, includes a nylon sheath with a belt loop and has a limited lifetime warranty.

Fremont neglects to mention the [hardened] steel used. Here’s hoping that it’s 440C, which would make it tough enough for the aforementioned chopping whilst still maintaining an edge.

That said, I’m not sure how much leverage you could muster with this configuration. I assume you’d have to tie a branch of some sort to the blade to git ‘er done. How easy/practical is that? Wouldn’t it be better to carry a machete and a sharp pocket knife or maybe just something in between?

As I said, the Farson needs a little field research.

Meanwhile, hats off to fieldandstream.com’s Sourdough Dave for the pic above and suggesting the serrations at the top of the tool. Which earned him an early production piece and TTAK kudos.

This entry was posted in Blade Show. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to New from Fremont Knives: Farson Blade Survival Tool

1. Aharon says:

If a manufacturer does not mention the type of stainless steel 440 then it usually indicates the cheaper quality type A or B (usually A) and not C. The design looks like a modification of the old Eskimo Ulu knife. It’s a stretch to say this knife can be used as a hatchet even with an attached stick or whatever. Pass.

• Duncan Idaho says:

That’s what I thought too, when I saw it- The Ulu type knives.

Maybe I could see it as a woodworking tool, but not a general purpose EDC blade.

Although it would be rather intimidating if someone started using that as a knuckle-duster, I think.

• Matt says:

Their Draper Series knives use 154CM, which is a good tool steel. Not sure about this model though!

2. Augur says:

Hey, if it turns out to be good at chopping, I might get one just so that I can say that I legitimately punched a tree down like in Minecraft! :D

3. jwm says:

Is the serrated upper the part that is in the palm of your hand when using this tool? When you remove the para cord for other uses is your hand going to be in contact with the serrations? If you leave the para cord in place how long before the serrations chew thru?

• Matt in FL says:

It appears to me they run the entire length of the spine. I’m guessing they’re more for grip than for any kind of cutting, thus they shouldn’t be too hard on your hand nor should they do much if any damage to the paracord.

• It’s not serrated on the top edge. They are gimping and only on the front and rear portions of the spine. Check out the You-Tube review on Ultimate Survival Tips:
      ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FzvWYZ7mw0 )
      It looks like a pretty well thought out tool. I’m thinking of getting one soon.

• MOG says:

Worst case, wrap your belt around the grip. (Tip of the week, don’t go nowhere without your belt).

4. VaqueroJustice says:

I like the idea, but I’m wondering if this would run afoul of the
    “metal knuckle” bans most cities have.

5. Derek says:

Boom.

MMHW Pocket Chop.

A practical, usable, sheath and a more precise forward cutting point.

6. D says:

It looks like they based the knife off of a hand ax, so you probably wouldn’t tie it to a branch. Hand axes were held in the hand while chopping or slicing. The idea to attach the ax head to a handle was a big advancement for early humans.

• D says:

Hmm… they did suggest turning it into a hatchet on their website. Well, I guess that’s one use for the paracord, but I don’t think it’s an ulu knife.

7. MOG says:

I would not want to chop very big stuff with that for very long. I can see the usefulness of it tho’. In a survival situation I will use whatever I can get. I carry ‘strike anywhere’ matches in one waterproof container, and a couple of Bic lighters in another.