Question of the Day: What Are Your Seven?

Don’t you just love lists? The kind that web sites or dead tree mags compile of the best this, the most interesting that. Yeah, it’s pure link bait. But it works! Which is how I found popularmechanics.com’s compendium of the seven knives everyone should own. There are a few obvious choices: the venerable Swiss Army Hiker, a Stanley utility knife and a Case Sod Buster. But a Masamoto VG gyotou? Is a machete a must-have? And while the Leatherman Rebar has a blade, it’s not a knife. Assuming that seven is the number – and I’m not so sure it is – what makes your list?

comments

1. Colby says:

Ontario 18 inch Machette (Imminently Useful)

Glock 78 Field Knife (Fun Cheap Beater)

KA-BAR USMC Fighting Knife (Nostalgia)

Leatherman Wave (Without it you will surely perish)

Buck 112 Ranger (All the functionality of the Buck 110 in a smaller better balanced psckage and perfect for hunting)

Eye Brand Trapper (Great Carbon Steel Blades)

Spyderco Delica all Steel (a great EDC blade in a slim package)

I carry many different EDC blades (usualy a Cold Steel Lawman) and have much higher priced hunting knives than my Buck 112 with different steels, but with the above listed knives any red blooded American should have almost all of their knife needs met and they are all classics worthy of any collection regardless of need.

2. Aharon says:

Reading the linked article, it is apparent the Popular Mechanics journalist knows virtually nothing about knives.

Dan wrote:
    “Is a machete a must-have?”

Well Dan, with my Condor Barong Machete I can chop and baton wood, cut kindling, slash vegetation, procure fruits and vegetables, and cut up an animal for a meal. Lastly, it has a very strong and sharp point making it very good for trusting into things.

1. Colby says:

Agreed.

3. jwm says:

A quality folder. A quality fixed blade. A decent machete. A decent ax. Must haves.

4. chuck k says:

Not counting kitchen knives, I agree with Jwm. Too many good knives in each category to even begin to list, but I will list a few anyway.
    I have several machetes, including a Woodsmans Pal, Griptillian and others for EDC, Buck and Mora for hunting, gutting, skinning, leatherman multi tool wich I use every single day for something, Cold Steel tanto just because it’s a beautiful and maybe useful knife, and many others. Probably my favorite of all is my Spyderco Endura flat ground.

1. jwm says:

Kitchen knives are a valid concern. I just don’t think of them much because my wife won’t let me in the kitchen. i’m only allowed in the kitchen to fix or install something.

5. Mark Davis says:

Seven? I LIKE more than seven, but honestly, that’s more than I really need. Here’s my shortlist:

1) Benchmade Griptilian for edc, food prep, etc. (This one is so important to me that I have four of ’em, for redundancy).

2) Syperco Gen 3 Delica. I prefer this to the current Delica because it is super light weight. The lack of weight makes it a breeze to carry while wearing a suit, or working out, etc.

3) Buck 110 for a those tasks that a folder won’t handle. I may upgrade to another fixed blade eventually, but the 110 is great value for money. Only drawback is the smooth handle.

4) Leatherman multitool for the bolt bag.

6. Cliff says:

I own far more than seven knives. These are the ones in current rotation:

1) Wusthof Classic 14cm Chef’s Knife – Never thought about it until today, but I probably have more hands on time with this knife than any other.

2) SOG Mini Aegis – When I am in the field, this knife is with me.

3) Leatherman Juice S2 – ditto

4) Boker Plus Wharcom – Good little knife and money clip.

5) Buck 112 (Ranger) – Over forty years old, I no longer use it every day but can’t retire it.

6) Spyderco Salt Ladybug (with SpyderEdge) –

7) Buck Avid Hunter Mini Alpha – The name is longer than the knife. I recently acquired this one for when I want a fixed blade and think my SOG Field Pup will make people around me too nervous.

Pocketknife, my grandfather’s: an Ulster. Various small Leatherman tools. A Leatherman Wave (or a Gerber, or SOG Paratool). Rotating Benchmades, Kershaws, a CKRT Rollock. A Wm.Henry for dress purposes. A couple thin Henkels, likewise. Small Buck folder (1.5″, plastic handle). Boy Scout knife.

Oh! A Christy slider in the car; With a hatchet and a fixed blade.

9. PubliusII says:

Am I the only one struck by the fact that the list contains not a single lockable folder of any description?

10. Chris Dumm says:

1.) A Swiss Army Hiker or Tinker (if you don’t have a SAK I can’t understand why);
    2.) A quality multitool (probably a Leatherman);
    3.) A good camp knife similar to the Becker Campanion;
    4.) A Buck 110 or 112;
    5.) A Sypderco/Benchmade/Cold Steel/SOG/Boker/Kershaw (or other quality) EDC knife. There are dozens and dozens of good ones out there, and I have no desire to start a Glock vs. 1911-style flame war;
    6.) At least one good chef’s knife;
    7.) A machete that doesn’t suck.

Note that I don’t necessarily own all of the above right now.

11. Mark Davis says:

I don’t see the attraction of the Swiss Army Knife. Sure, I had several when I was a kid, but these days they seem obsolete. They take up too much pocket space and are hard to use. The blades don’t lock, and are hard to deploy. There’s usually a bunch of stuff that I never use (nail file, tweezers, etc). If I need a multi-tool, I have my Leatherman, which is more ergonomic and better designed.

1. PubliusII says:

I think you have to say which Swiss Army Knife you’re rejecting. I have a tiny Victorinox Classic, of which I will use all the tools over the course of the average week. And I also have a Wenger Stamdard Issue (1961 design), which has the same blade set as my old Boy Scout pocket knife, but is newly made and in better shape.

2. Pat says:

The Leatherman type multi-tool (pliers) sort of eclipsed the Swiss Army type knives (some newer ones have a locking main blade) in the last 20 or so years.

12. JAS says:

SEVEN!? Way to few knives. Multiply that by at least 3 if you want to include kitchen knives.

Kitchen knives are quite specialized and so you need at least eight just for that. Paring, Small Chef, Large Chef, Small Slicer/utility, Big Slicer, Bread, Boning, filleting. Those are the basics.

Do you fish? Hunt? Camp? EDC? You can see where this goes :).

13. Kansas Wind says:

1. Cold Steel Recon 1
    2. Wenger Forrester
    3. Buck Vanguard
    4. Cold Steel Panga Machete
    5. Leatherman
    6. Foltus Minimalist
    7. Cold Steel Bushman

et al.

14. Pat says:

Ontario Machete (1095 steel) $17, Mora (laminated or differential steel) $9-12, Ontario rat 1 folding knife (aus-8) $20…..best bang for buck, Stockman type slip joint (3 different style blades in a small package) $7-12, Ontario sp6 8″ fighter (1095 steel) $36, Cold Steel Bushman $12 and Trail Hawk $18.
    SOG Pocket Powerplier $32 and Leatherman pliers/scissors keychain $23 are multi-tool.
    Of course, that is only an economical list.
    Spyderco Endura $36, Benchmade Griptillian $65, SOG Vulcan tanto (laminated steel) $75, Gerber Applegate Fairbairn $68, Camillus Cuda-Max $99, Cold Steel Recon tanto (carbon 5 steel) $36 and OSS $45 would be another list.
    Then, on another list, you would have…most people on this forum could go on and on.