What The World Needs Now: 4-Bladed Sword

Image courtesy Swords, Knives & DaggersWhen I see something like this, I have to think of Nutnfancy’s ‘POU’ or ‘philosophy of use’ concept. What in blue blazes is the POU for this POS? And if you actually want it, what would you be willing to spend? . . .

You can’t carry it, and it won’t efficiently cut anything you’ll ever need to cut (no, imaginary slow-moving Orcs and the undead don’t count.) On top of that, you can’t even hang it on a wall without being laughed out of your own home. It looks more like a hay fork than a weapon.

I always get a laugh from Cold Steel’s vaguely unsettling sword videos, but at least those are high-quality blades. They might not be particularly practical or useful, but at least they’re functional. Dropping perfectly good cash on abominations like this 4-bladed thing, on the other hand, is probably legal grounds for divorce in most states.

comments

1. Aharon says:

Only in the movies would a user be able to kill four opponents in one movement with that thing whose manufacturer is not even identified by the website seller.

I’ve never owned CS and I’m no expert on quality edged weapons and tools. Some CS owners and knowledgeable blademen believe that different CS products are a mix of the very good and cheap junk.

2. Hryan says:

If I am not mistaken, it is based on a weapon carried by an anime character. So it is basically supposed to be ridiculous.

3. Matt in FL says:

There’s a sucker born every minute. Someone will buy this thing.

4. VaqueroJustice says:

The POU for this blade would be costuming at a science fiction convention, or collecting, for fans of anime.

I really don’t have a problem with blades of this nature, they are devoid of all practical use, but not everything has to be practical.

1. Shane O'Mac says:

2 minutes of research would have brought anyone to this conclusion.

1. Nanashi says:

From my experience they don’t allow edged weapons at cons, even as part of a costume. If you buy one it must be immediately transported, fully wrapped to either the trunk of your car or hotel room for storage. Generally bokken or shinai are allowed though. Fake weapons and props, as well as anything that looks remotely weapon-like must be peace bonded (aka have a zip tie attached somewhere).

1. VaqueroJustice says:

I’m not sure what cons you have been going to, but this certainly is not the case at those I have attended.

5. Duncan Idaho says:

Oh… So THAT’S a high-capacity sword.

6. David says:

I could see a pactical use for something like this. Seems like a big sweeping cross section, like a pitchfork, could function decently (in theory) as a block-and-catch or a block-and-break weapon. More so if it was designed to be carried w/ another weapon (like a regular knife/dagger) in the other hand. But yeah this thing is basically a sci-fi monstrosity, would not pay 64 plus shipping for this thing.

7. ALTAC6 says:

Says it right in the name. It’s a replica of a weapon used in a manga and anime series. It’s not meant to be practical, it’s just meant to look like the thing from the show.

Heck, an actual firing replica of Captain Reynolds’ gun from Firefly probably wouldn’t be very practical either, but I’d still want one.

1. jwm says:

You can shoot Mal’s gun. It was just a Taurus 85 with a few add ons to make it look kewl. As for this 4 bladed sword I got something very close to it from the hardware store for less than 30 bucks for working the dirt in my garden. I never realised I was such a ninja.

2. Matt in FL says: