New From W.R. Case: Abalone Wharnecliffe Trapper

Image Courtesy W.R.Case & Sons

There are no Case knives in my collection yet, but it’s certainly not for want of wanting. The abalone-handled Trapper shown here is particularly unlikely to call my house its home, since it’s fairly pricey (even for a Case) at $180 each. Instead of Case’s usual ‘Tru-Sharp’ steel, this semi-custom Trapper has clip and wharnecliffe blades of 154-CM steel. Nobody ever complains about Tru-Sharp, but the extra-fancy metal in this model calls out the steel geek as well as the Case collector.

And it doesn’t hurt that it looks just freaking gorgeous.

comments

1. Aharon says:

This is a beautiful knife. Unfortunately, I can’t personally justify the cost vs. the results I could get from this knife.

OK, let’s all take three deep breaths and repeat slowly:
    “a knife is just a tool”
    “a knife is just a tool”
    “a knife is just a tool”

2. knightofbob says:

There are several reasons I don’t have any Case in my collection. The biggest being that whenever I have the money for a new collectible Case, I usually see something else that catches my eye a little more (and often for a little less).

Another issue I have, though, and one not to be understated, is that once I have one, I know I’m going to want the entire set. Even if I spread out the purchases, I’m now in for over a grand. I do have other hobbies.

Not just beautiful, Aharon, GORGEOUS! And way too pricy for me.

4. NavyRetGold says:

I have several Case knives in my collection. All of them are excellent, and a few of them are inherited from my late father, and thus priceless. I especially love the big folding hunter model. However, none of them cost me even half of what that abalone trapper costs. That, and I just don’t care for wharnecliffe blades.

1. Bill says:

A sailor disrespecting a Wharnecliffe blade — isn’t that naval heresy? I like the idea of having the specialized slicing blade in addition to the more traditional blade.

1. NavyRetGold says:

Haha! I guess I am both guilty and busted…

still have my deck seaman’s spike, and a mint Navy diver’s knife.

5. casenutt says:

I am really curious as to where that knife can be bought for $180.00? The Case Outlet store advertises it at $670.00 and limited to 100 pieces to ever be sold. (https://www.caseknifeoutlet.com/proddetail.cfm?ses=FB8D50DEBC28DCD6) The first run of this particular knife sold at Christmas time in 2014 as a Tony Case vault release of 10 hand made ones, using really rare abalone and premium grade steels, at a cost of over $1,600.00 per knife.