Question Of The Day: What’s The Most You’ve Paid For A Knife?

Image courtesy Mike LaPorte

There are some crazily-expensive knives out there. Some are massively practical, some are massively collectible, and others are just massive. (And this Randall may actually be all three at the same time.)

What’s the most you’ve spent for a knife, and what did your hard-earned money get you? Don’t be embarrassed; we’re all friends here and we’ve all blown the odd dollar on some impulse purchase at some point in our lives.

You’re free to remain anonymous, and you can always wipe your browser history before the wife comes home.

comments

1. Jon says:

The EDC knife I carried for years was a $5 Frost Cutlery, I love that knife. I always told myself I would NEVER pay more that $50 for a knife until I payed $160 for a Benchmade 300….now a Benchmade fan for life and probably will spend more than that now to add to my collection…Moral of the story: Never say Never !!!!

2. Robert says:

Randall Smithsonian Bowie; around $500 back in the mid-1990’s.

3. LES says:

Well, outside of customs, my ZT 561 cost about $260. Including customs, I’ve spent closer to $350

4. Aharon says:

My most expensive knife so far is my Becker BK5 ($85). I added on after market micarta scales, a kydex sheath, and a tek-lok to attach the kydex sheath to my belt. Total investment was $149.

5. Dbeans says:

35 bucks on a Kershaw skyline. I’ve been the type to just use free box cutters from work and maybe buying a 5 dollar knive from Pakistan at a flea market. But after finding this site I’ve decided to move on up to something a little fancier.

6. aircooledTOM says:

Bought a Gerber Propel Auto… about 115. Not bad, but I feel like I overpaid. I really prefer my Benchmade Osborne 943 (got that for free, it was a gift). Just bought an Ontario Blackbird SK-5 — it’s awesome and beautiful. I think it was 120ish.

7. mike says:

$550 for a Wilson Combat Eagle – it made no sense except it is still the lightest and tightest locking knife out of dozens I own.

8. Mark Davis says:

I generally pay less than $100 for my knives, but a couple of months ago I plunked down about $190 for my Benchmade 940. It was a little steep, but the knife seems to find its way into my pocket every day. Next is my ESSE-4, which cost about $140 with sheath and all the doodads. Best value for money? My recently acquired Mora Long Clip which set me back all of $20.

9. Nathan says:

$230 for a Microtech SOCOM. I eventually traded it for a Paramilitary 2 and a cheap Kershaw. My ZT 550 was $155 + $150 for a pimp job. If I made more money I’d easily be buying more expensive mid-techs and customs

$150 for a William Henry with a black Wharnecliff blade.

1. Tom in Oregon says:

About 375 for a William Henry. Beautiful damascus wave pattern blade. Blue sapphire stones for the thumb stud and blade release button.
      However, my neighbor is the GM for their shop in Mcminnville. 🙂
      I bought 3 for Christmas presents in 2011. They have neat stuff!

Lucky guy! Close to the source!

11. Mr. Lighter says:

$240 for a nice Bowie. No regrets.

My next purchase will be an Ek Fairbairn-Sykes.

12. Steve in MA says:

$70 for a short Black Kabar

13. jwm says:

I’m a cheap bastard. I generally don’t pay more than 50 bucks for a knife. My cold steel srk was about that brand new. My favorite edc is a kershaw assited opener I paid less than 40 bucks for. And then there’s the Mora’s. Love them Mora’s.

14. Phydeaux says:

Other than a few Benchmades and Spydercos, most of my knives have come from the Kershaw factory sale the weekend after Thanksgiving that range from under $20 to a bit over $100. I think my biggest single purchase was the Brous Blades Reloader flipper I pre ordered for $300.

15. chuck k says:

Got a beautiful Benchmade 921 switchback with dark blue scales. It is not available anymore but retail was a bit over $200. Got a great deal (less than half price)from a hobby shop which was getting out of the knife business and had a clearance sale. I have to dress up for work every day and it is my edc “work” knife. I carry a mini griptillian the rest of the time and a Cold Steel tanto when hiking, walking for exercise, or otherwise think I might need it.
    I have a question I would like to put out there. I also carry an ASP collapsible baton when I go walking. I have been told by various LEO’s in PA that even though I have a CCW, I might get in trouble for carrying the ASP. I have never gotten a clear answer from anyone. It seems to depend on where you are and who you are dealing with. Very confusing.
    Has anyone else ever asked that question about carrying a colllapsible baton?

1. NavyRetGold says:

Nobody ever said the law made any sense. Just look at the knife laws! For the most part it was written by people (communist left wingers) that you 100% disagree with. The obvious answer is… since you have a ccw, carry a GUN and use it if you have to…

16. NavyRetGold says:

Back on topic.. I spent $180 for a near mint Zero Tolerance 301 combat folder. It was an awesome deal, and way outside my price comfort zone. Probably won’t happen again unless I get weak kneed and bid crazily on a Benchmade Barrage 581. (I’ll admit, it could happen) It’s not that I can’t afford it, its just that it doesn’t make sense to me… just like NFL salaries and CEO salaries don’t make sense.

17. Chas says:

In June I paid $117 for a Spyderco Paramilitary 2. Worth every penny.

18. Matt in FL says:

I paid around $120 for some Spyderco that I can’t remember the name of a decade or so ago. Since them it’s just been $35-45 Kershaws.

19. Derek says:

Dropped $160 on a Benchmade Onslaught shortly after getting a holiday bonus from my employer. Went to the LGS to get a Griptillian I had had my eye on for a while and just couldn’t leave the little (not little at all) guy there by himself… He looked lonely, honest 🙂

20. DaveM says:

About $150 each for Emerson CQC -7 wave and a Spyderco Military
    Every time I pulled the Emerson the wave feature worked, poked myself every time, built hell for stout
    Spyderco – Lots of blade, handle I can hold, hair shaving sharp
    I prefer tip up carry, can’t change the pocket clip
    Went back to $50 cold steel 4″ voyager for EDC

21. Out_Fang_Thief says:

I spent $230 for the last Lone Wolf Lobo available at a Cutlery World.
    It was half as an investment, and half as a possible birthday present.
    I had my first Lobo, but I paid the going price of $190 when it came out.
    Over $200 is where I stop buying knives. That covers most automatics.
    Most though, are under $100, but they have to work. As any tool should.

22. Bob Damon says:

I decided I wanted a large fixed blade and got an Entrek Fighting Falcon Mark II for $180 about 3 years ago. Now I see they are $230.

I got it mostly to get an understanding of how to use and defend against large knives.

Also have a custom Karambit, $325.
    It is well built, a great knife.
    I carry it sometimes using a Tek-Lok. I have a aluminum trainer that is an exact copy. I use the trainer several times a month.

On the list of dream knives is a Warren Thomas Titanium Karambit.

23. Trenchcoat Vampire says:

I don’t have a huge blade collection and most them cost under $50 but I still have a SN#’d Gerber Mk. I that I bought about 20 years ago in college for around $80. One of the only purchases I made during those years that was actually worthwhile and/or un-inhaleable.

24. Highvoltage says:

Most expensive…$800 for a custom Ernest Emerson CQC-8, and that was a bargain. It’s older, chisel ground, no wave, G-10 scales, And when I showed it to Mr. Emerson at this year’s Blade Show, he put a date of ’97-98 on it. And yes I carry and use it.

I have several other custom’s from the same maker, but I’ve never paid more than table price, so $600-650. I have a few other customs from various makers, but I won’t pay the high secondary price for those either. I have a spot on a few makers order books for knives, that when finished would double, if not triple in value, and those will see pocket time and use as well.

25. knightofbob says:

Like I said in the big knife thread: I’ll keep out of sword territory.

For the longest time, the most I had ever spent on a knife was the roughly $180 I dropped on a carbon fiber Civilian. Since then, I’ve developed a taste for Japanese steel in the kitchen, so there have been a lot of purchases that came close. The absolute most I’ve ever spent on a sharpened blade to date is my Benchmade Infidel. I won’t give too many details, especially since I forget the actual price I paid, but I got it wholesale, and let’s just say it was closer to $200 than MSRP.

I’m hoping to branch into handmade stuff sooner rather than later, but I also enjoy firearms, and there’s a conflict of interest. Part of the reason I started collecting things edged was that I could take $60 to a gun and knife show and leave with something I wouldn’t see again. A little more than that at one show, actually, netted me a German paratrooper gravity knife and 100 rounds of 10mm. I don’t make it to as many shows these days, and I never have as much to spend as I’d like, but there’s a man crafting some incredibly nice collector grade knives about an hour’s drive from my parents’ house. I’m not relying on any kind of big return, but I want to give him my business.

26. C says:

a 79.50 (shipping incl.) Nepalese Khukuri House khukuri.

27. Greg says:

$180 Benchmade 51. Impulse buy several years ago when I had the chance to stop by the showroom/warehouse at Blade HQ in Lehi Utah. They have (had?) a sign telling patrons to limit their browsing to 15 minutes or under. It isn’t my daily carry or anything but it’s fun to have sitting at my desk when I get bored.

28. Jay says:

$360 for a Sacha Thiel Officer. My most expensive production was $300 on a BM infidel, which I sold in part for the Officer. The most expensive production I still have is my TiMillie.

29. Pat says:

Cold Steel Natchez San Mai Bowie. Around $270 or so. $99 for a Camillus Cuda Maxx (5.5″ bld. D2, Titanium handle)…should have bought more.

30. Jonathan says:

$450 for a Sebenza 21 THAT I LOST. Still mad at myself. Replaced it with the 3.5 inch version of the Emissary.