Just Arrived For Testing: Buck 110 Folding Hunter

Image: Chris Dumm for TTAK

The Buck 110 rests comfortably among the Pantheon of classic American knives. It’s been beloved of hunters, Boy Scouts and contractors since it was first introduced in 1962, and it has probably dressed more deer and earned more Totin’ Chip cards than any other folding knife ever made.

Handling it shows why it has withstood the test of time. Fine-grained wood scales, lustrous thick brass bolsters, and a hair-shaving sharp 420HC blade make it a perfect composition in wood, brass and steel. Kind of like my Henry Big Boy .44 Magnum.

Image: Chris Dumm for TTAK

Well…almost perfect. This proud rivet, along with a single tiny brass stain, escaped Buck’s final QC by hiding on the inside of the blister packaging. I doubt they’ll factor heavily into the final review ratings, however.

comments

1. Eric says:

I have a Buck 110 in the drawer that is probably 30 years old. Along with a Bucklite, they were my stand bys for daily use. It compares very favorably to a Spyderco Endura in daily use…just heavier, not one handed opening, thicker, no pocket clip. The Endura is a more refined 110 IMO.

2. Colby says:

Can’t wait to start reading the reviews on some of the awesome blades you’re getting in. I am very interested to see how Buck’s 420HC blades compare to the other blade materials in your performance tests. 420 works well enough for me but I’d love to have less a less subjective data point than my own personal experience.

A 110 was my first hunting knife until I lost it, I know not where or when. I picked up a Buck 112 Ranger to replace it back in 2009. I actually liked the 112better because it was more compact and pocketable, without sacrificing a bit of usability. I’ve used both on elk, deer, pigs, coyote (don’t try it unless you want fleas), and who knows what else. I use the 112 almost exclusively for field dressing game on all my planned hunts (I carry a backup knife of course though). But whenever I make an impromptu harvest I rarely have it on me, so I use whatever EDC or trapper style knife I have on me in those situations.

110 & 112 = Awesome Hunting Knives from Buck

3. Eh says:

A Buck 110 was the first real knife that my dad gave me as a kid, I think he bought it for me so I would stop trying to steal his old 110. It’s an excellent knife with many fond memories attached to it. I will definitely be looking forward to this review.

4. Matt in FL says:

I’ve never actually had one of these. I think the two knives I carried throughout Boy Scouts were (first) a single-blade lockback smaller than this, and (second) a smallish, 4-6 blade Swiss Army knife.

In Scouts, I had a BSA Scout Knife and a 4.5″ hunting knife marked Shapleigh, ST. LOUIS, MO. Never had the Buck 110; thought it too thick. I gave my dad a Gerber version (no model # on it) of the 110 (only 5/16″ thick”) in ’74.

6. Cliff says:

Forty some odd years ago I went backpacking with a college buddy. He had the Buck 110, which led me to the 112. We both still have them, and to this day, swear by them.

7. Robert says:

I used to carry a 110 during my Navy years, still have it. If you go to the Buck website you can order a “customised” version of the 110, with several choices of blade steel, brass or nickle silver bolsters, and a half-dozen or so handle scale materials, including stag. Price varies according to options chosen.

8. daveinwyo says:

Got my 110 in 1970 at the PX at Ft Bragg. Back then they had only 3 pins. Still have it, still VERY sharp and as tight as the day I bought it. However… do not let one of your commo buddies borrow your knife, mine came back about 3/16 ths shorter. Re-shaped it (by hand!) and re-sharpened it and can’t tell the damage done. Don’t use it much any more but carried it for better than 15 years and 3 sheaths/holsters. Very many memories, some bad, most good.

9. NavyRetGold says:

Every deck seaman I ever knew during all my years in the Navy carried one of these, along with a marlinspike. They endured some hard use. I still have mine. That was many years ago, things may be different now, with the coed crews, no smoking, no drinking, etc, etc, etc…

10. PubliusII says:

The 110 has undergone a certain amount of evolution. I find it interesting that at some point “recently” (10 years ago?), the company decided to round the edges & corners more than the original model had.

I prefer the rounder edges on both my 100 and 112, but I’m not using either as a hunting knife. Perhaps the rounder edges make it harder to grip firmly when you’re elbow-deep inside a deer.

11. PubliusII says:

And I meant to add that I’d be interested in knowing how the EcoLite versions of the 110 and 112 compare to the current regular models. Anyone know?

I’m thinking of getting one or the other to have a lighter weight version.

12. 2hotel9 says:

Love my Buck. They have replaced 2 for me during the last 36 years, all the others I replaced myself. Since I was the dumb ass that lost or broke them.

Skin and clean game and fish, free corrosion frozen nuts&bolts, bust out car windows(not for nefarious purposes!!!), free jammed M60 bolt carriers, cut wedding cake and birthday cake. Hell, I am using mine to slice up some excellent pork spare ribs as I type!

Simply put, one of the best designed and executed knives of the last 100 years. And did I say I was a fan?!?! Love my Buck.

13. 2hotel9 says:

And Nick? That scarred rivet will be joined by many more marks, if you use it as a daily work knife. Don’t be asceerd to abuse it in your review process. Hell, tell Buck how it got dinged and they will most likely be happy to send you another, gratis.

1. Matt EHRENBERG says:

I HAVE A BUCK 110 FROM 1974 THAT I GOT BACK IN 1999 MY SENIOR YEAR HIGH SCHOOL I TRADED MY NEW 110 1999 MODEL TO GET MY FRIENDS OLD ONE MADE IN 1974 HE JUST USED IT TO SQUIRRL AND DEER HUNT THE KNIFE WAS 25 YRS OLD WHEN I GOT IT AT THAT TIME. I STARTED HUNTING BACK IN 2006 AND USED IT THAT YEAR TO SQUIRRL HUNT USED IT ON SIX SQUIRRL THAT YEAR CARRIED IT DEER SEASON THAT YEAR BUT DIDNT GET A DEER. I USED IT IN 2007 TO SQUIRRL HUNT AND GOT TO USE IT ON MY FIRST BUCK THAT YEAR AND IT DID A WONDERFUL JOB . IT HAS THE OLD 440 C STEEL . IN 2013 I ORDERED A NEW 110 SO I COULD KEEP MY OLDER 110 PUT UP . I NOW CARRY THE NEW ONE HUNTING IT HAS THE 420 HIGH CARBON STEEL AND IS VERY EASY TO RE SHARPEN. I STILL CARRY THE OLD ONE SOME BUT NOT MUCH ANYMORE. I USE THE NEW 110 ALL THE TIME HUNTING SINCE I BOUGHT IT I HAVE USED IT ON QUIT A FEW SQUIRRL’S . I CARRIED IT AS MY EVERYDAY KNIFE FROM JANUARY 2013 TILL FEB 2014 WHEN I PURCHASED THE BUCK 112 NOW THE 112 IS MY EVERYDAY KNIFE AND THE NEW 110 WILL JUST BE USED DURING HUNTING SEASON THE BUCK BRAND IS ALL I CARRY AND USE CAMPING OR IN THE WOODS.

1. 2hotel9 says:

Matt, love the enthusiasm, but you got to reach that pinky over and hit the caps lock again. I am planning to buy the newest Buck folder, Mini Spitfire. Popo is checking blade lengths a bit more and been looking for a shorter blade for EDC on days I got to go near such soggy and hard to light cops.

14. Matt EHRENBERG says:

I HAVE A 1974 110 THAT I TRADED A BRAND NEW ONE IN 1999 TO GET A FRIENDS OLD ONE THAT WAS 14 YRS AGO . NOW THE KNIFE IS 40 YRS OLD I CARRIED IT DURING 2007 DEER SEASON AND USED IT ON MY VERY FIRST DEER I EVER SHOT . 2007 WAS MY VERY FIRST YEAR DEER HUNTING. I STILL CARRY IT HUNTING ONCE IN A WHILE NOT MUCH ANYMORE. IN SEPTEMBER 2012 I HAD TO SEND A BUCK DIAMONDBACK GUT HOOK KNIFE BACK CAUSE HIT A DEAD SPOT IN BLADE THAT KNIFE WAS CHINA MADE. THEY SENT ME THE BUCK MAXLITE GUT HOOK THAT IS THE SUCESSOR OF THE DIAMONDBACK AND IS MADE IN POST FALLS IDAHO. WHEN I GOT MY NEW KNIFE IN THE BOX WAS A CARD FOR 25% OFF MY NEXT KNIFE PURCHASE SO I ORDERD IN DEC THAT YEAR A BRAND NEW 110 SO I COULD KEEP MY OLDER 110 PUT AWAY. NOW I JUST RECIEVED MY 50TH ANNV BUCK 110 THE OTHER DAY WHICH I AM CURRENTLY CARRING IT IS MADE FOR 2014 ONLY TO MARK THE 50TH ANNV OF THE KNIFE I WILL CARRY THIS ONE CAUSE BEING MARKED 50 ANNV ON BOX AND KNIFE THE WAY I TAKE CARE OF MY KNIVES I WILL STILL BE ABLE TO DOUBLE MY MONEY ON IT 30 YRS FROM NOW IF I EVER DECIDE TO PART WITH IT.