New From Spyderco: Domino Framelock Flipper

One of the significant announcements Spyderco made at the SHOT Show earlier this year was the introduction of their new Domino. Spydey fans were all a-flutter and why not? Full flat ground 3-inch+ CTS XHP blade, titanium frame lockup and a dead sexy carbon fiber scale. The only bummer: all that EDC exceptionalism don’t come cheap. The Domino has an MSRP of $330. The good news is they’ve just started shipping in the last couple of weeks and they’re selling for a fairly steep discount to list. Still, two Benjamins is a lot, even for a ticket to knife nirvana. Blade lust is a terrible thing.

comments

1. jwm says:

Sorry, the only spyderco I ever bought fell apart in my pocket. Won’t risk 20 bucks, let alone 200+ on one.

1. Pat says:

I am pretty sure that you WOULD risk $20 for a good Spyderco. Come on man! Most Spydies get raves. I paid $37 for an Endura with VG10 and certainly don’t feel ripped off. Multiple Ben Franklins on an EDC is where I agree with you, however.

2. Matt in FL says:

I’ve had several Spydercos that I really liked. They did what I needed them to do, and were fairly inexpensive. I’m not sure I’d drop $200 on this one, even though it looks pretty nice.

3. Mark Davis says:

I’ve had very good luck with Spyderco. I’d like to try this one, but the question is “do I need to spend $200 on yet another knife?”

1. Mark Davis says:

Made in Taiwan. So no, I definitely won’t drop 2 bills on this.

My wallet tells me “no”. I tell it, “You got that right!”

5. Bob Damon says:

All I could think about while reading about the Domino was pizza.
    $330 buys a lot of pizza, and encroaches on the price of a lot of well regarded folders.

1. Jay says:

There is nothing wrong in equating everything to Pizza currency.

6. Nathan says:

I’ll probably buy one in the near future

7. NavyRetGold says:

It seems the Spyderco fanboi’s are almost as bad as the Apple fanboi’s..

There are more things that I don’t like about Spyderco knives than things that I do like, so I don’t currently own any. A few of their models do have some appeal to me so I may own some in the future, but for now there are too many better and lower cost other choices. This Domino model has some nice features, but two bills? Sal Glasser will have to make his Mercedes payment from somebody other than me.

8. Paul says:

Holy crap…a spyderco that isn’t ugly as sin? No wonder they’re charging 3 bills for it.

9. SPIDER DAVIS says:

I BECAME A SPYDERCO FAN IN 1997 WHEN I BOUGHT A DELICA FOR 35 BUCKS.MOST EXPENSIVE KNIFE I HAD BOUGHT AT THE TIME.I STILL HAVE THAT KNIFE AND 40 PLUS MORE SPYDERCOS.THAT DELICA STARTED MY BLADE LUST,ABOUT WHICH I HAVE NO REGRETS.I HAVE 2 DOMINOS AND 1 MORE ON THE WAY.MY THANKS TO SAL,ERIC,AND THE CREW FOR KEEPING EXCITING NEW PRODUCTS COMING ON THE MARKET. A SPYDERCO FAN FOR EVER.

10. racer88 says:

Another Spydie fan here. I got my first 3-1/2 years ago… a Caly 3 in carbon fiber. And, I was hooked. I’m at about 50 Spydie examples now. My most recent is the Domino, and it instantly became a favorite, if not THE favorite. I paid $185 for mine. I’m thinking about getting a 2nd one for the safe (and future gift for my son). It is a fantastic knife, and my first “flipper.”