Obscure Object Of Desire: ‘Escort’ Carbon Fiber Daggers

Image: Carbonfibergear.com

Carbon fiber doesn’t hold much of an edge, but anyone who owns an ‘Executive Letter Opener’ knows that even Zytel can support a wickedly strong piercing point. These daggers from carbonfibergear.com may not be technically legal aboard airline flights, but their nonmetallic construction could certainly help you obey the 11th Commandment and simply not get caught.

These knives are between 7 and 9 inches in total length, and each weighs less than one ounce. The blades are built up from 12 layers of unidirectional carbon fiber, with an outer layer of twill-weave carbon fiber composite. The handles are 32 layers thick, presumably to provide a better grip.

While I could see these knives as cool James Bond gadgets or very clever letter openers, they have no advantage over conventional knives other than their ability to sneak through metal detectors. They would still be discovered with a body surface scanner, and a diligent pat-down (as differentiated from a TSA frisk) would find them in a heartbeat.

Price: $65 to $85, from carbonfibergear.com

comments

1. Matt in FL says:

Is it bad that I’m completely fascinated by these? I’m not a carbon fiber fanboy, but I really like these.

I was thinking that the Escort III (with the finger hole) could be great to carry when I go for bike rides, if I can figure out a good way to secure it to the shoulder strap on my Camelbak or backpack. If I ever had the need for it, I’d really have the need for it, and in the meantime it weighs basically nothing, so I’d never notice it was there.

1. Duncan Idaho says:

I know a few guys that carry collapsable (collapsible?) batons with them when they go riding. Ever thought of one of those?

2. Aharon says:

Allegedly, there is a new law enforcement tool being rolled out that provides police in their squad cars to scan people on the sidewalk for concealed gun shaped objects. I believe the technology focuses on seeking out and imaging a metal object hidden beneath clothes. A knife made out of this material should, in theory, still be undetectable for now.

3. Out_Fang_Thief says:

The question is, how long before we see one in a movie?
    Before, or after the years movie cycle ends this X-mas?
    If I made these “knives” I would have been making calls
    to Hollywood’s prop masters 2 months ago,…or sooner.
    Never underestimate the consumer of the innocuous.
    Hammacher Schlemmer makes a damn good living at it.

4. Spencer says:

I bought all 3 of those when they came out last year They really do weigh next to nothing the Sheath weights more then the blades but anyways they are just sitting on my desk as letter openers at this time

5. Easton Rimer says:

Astounding knives, love to have them all. Thanks.

6. Vinjabond says:

To correct you, most carbon fiber composites would actually be invisible to the TSA’s full body scanners.