First Defensive Spear Use Of The Day. Ever.

Image: Wikipedia

When a British Columbia woman was attacked by a mountain lion while gardening in her remote cabin, her partner rushed to the rescue and gave the big cat a taste of cold steel. Literally.

Short version? The cougar is now a refrigerated lab specimen, the woman is in hospital and expected to recover, and Cold Steel’s Boar Spear is flying off the shelves.

The slightly longer version is that an unnamed woman was attacked from hiding by a large adult mountain lion at her remote cabin on the west coast of Vancouver Island. It wasn’t the first time it had stalked her, and the BBC reported that she had recently chased it away with a machete in A Defensive Machete Use Of The Day we hadn’t been aware of.

This time, however, she was jumped from behind and severely mauled. Her partner heard her screams and responded instantly, with a Cold Steel Boar Spear in his hands.

Image: Cold Steel

He stabbed the cat several times until it fled, and then immediately called 911 for a helicopter medevac. The cougar only made it 20 yards before it bled to death in the treeline near the house. The body was recovered, and a necropsy is planned to investigate the causes of the attack.

To say that spear-fighting against animals is ‘highly unusual’ would be a vast understatement. “I’m pretty sure that this is the first time in [British Columbia], if not Canada and maybe even North America, where someone has stopped an attack by a cougar with a spear and killed it with a spear,” said Canadian conservation officer Sgt. Ben York.

Can I just point out how staggeringly, awesomely Neanderthal this is? This dude grabbed a spear, and he didn’t even know if he was going to confront a wolf or badger or even a brown bear. I would have grabbed a shotgun if there were one close enough, but a Boar Spear is a pretty frightful weapon:

Cold Steel president Lynn Thompson said his company has been flooded with press inquiries since the incident, and that he’s proud one of his products was used to save lives.

His statement is printed on the Cold Steel website:

This is an awesome story of courage under pressure. This loving husband gathered his nerve and nailed his life to his spine. He grabbed the boar spear and faced a cougar to protect his loved one! It doesn’t get more primal than that!

The Boar Spear represents the culmination of hundreds of years of weapon evolution. A good Boar Spear is a truly formidable weapon that can be a life saver in the right hands. I’ve trained with these spears for many years, and I’ve hunted dangerous game with them in the past. I’m honored that my spear was there when the chips were down! The bravery shown here by this Gentleman is awe inspiring.

I can’t say it much better than that. Just like Bruce Willis put down a gun to grab a samurai sword in Pulp Fiction, this guy protected his home and family and stood down Mother Nature with nothing but a very sharp and very pointy stick. And he killed it dead.

My hat is off to you, sir. May your partner have a full and speedy recovery.

(Full BBC story here.)

comments

1. Mike L says:

Actually hunting big cats with a spear has been around for quite some time. I remember reading about such hunts back in 1950’s and 1960’s. One guy who spent a lifetime doing it is noted here :

2. jwm says:

Prior to 1492 protecting your self and loved ones from predators in North America, or any of the Americas for that matter required the use of pointy objects. Our man just had the advantaged of superior materials in his pointy object. Takes courage, either way.

I wonder if our spear wielder is banned from owning firearms for some reason. If I lived in a remote area like that I would definately own a gun. I own several + now and I live in the very crowded bay area.

1. Sean says:

Canada has some ridiculous safe storage laws for firearms. All firearms have to be unloaded and locked up and the ammunition has to in a separate place. By the time he loaded his rifle, his wife would mostly likely have been dead.

3. AW1Ed says:

Wonder how this dude hauls around his two big brass ones??!! Must have a special cart…

It’s Canada; most everyone is banned, most likely.

1. Sean says:

Incorrect.

Try knowing what you are talking about before making ridiculous comments.

5. Duncan Idaho says:

See? With a Mosin Nagant, you get a pike and a cannon. In one convenient package.

Good job to our pikeman, though.

1. sagebrushracer says:

yet another reason to leave the bayonet mounted on your favorite 91/30.

1. Duncan Idaho says:

Then you have the choice of Speer or Spear.

As in, Speer bullets.

1. Derek says:

I giggled.

6. Aharon says:

I guess he never heard about the Native Americans and the technology they used before firearms were introduced. Regardless, it is a great story.

1. neiowa says:

Did they know the Indians (Or Injuns)? “Native Americans” is a welfare classification.

7. C says:

Ran across those spears a couple of weeks ago. My first reaction to the thought of taking on a dangerous animal with one: “Now that’d put some hair on your chest!”

8. Mike says:

I got a Boar Spear many years ago after a particularly vicious dog attacked my child. I had to fight it off with a large stick which luckily I was successful with. Shooting causes so many problems in my area I decided on a quieter option should I ever face such a situation again.
    Boar Spear stands guard in my hallway closet to this day.

9. Missed this one the first time by. Great find Chris.