Video: Destruction-Testing A $200 Katana

Since this is a sub-$200 Ronin Dojo katana, we’re obviously not talking about folded steels and Masamune-like edge retention. But it’s still pretty interesting to hop through this overly-long video to see how a mall-store samurai sword really performs in real life.

Start at about the 15:00 mark to avoid the most boring parts.

comments

1. JoshtheViking says:

It’s amazing how many twits commented on this video saying things like, “why would you treat a majestic sword like that.”

People, it’s a $200 mass produced piece of metal; it’s not a 200-year-old, hand-folded work of art.

1. C says:

Oh wow. Yeah. Those are pretty…sad. They remind me of the South Park episode “Good Times with Weapons” where the kids buy some cheap mystery metal ‘marshal arts weapons’ from a guy at the fair. The anime nerds up in arms on youtube are the type who would fall for that scheme.

Phininx says, “I agree with Christina, you should use your sword as your soul and your friend
      care for it and it will care for you, protect it and it will protect you.
      They way you use your sword is not the right way the sword will turn against you in time..” You gotta be shitting me, kid.

2. Matt in FL says:

Somebody get that man a video editor. Good lord.

The blade held up well enough, I suppose. I’ve never owned a katana, and I honestly don’t think I ever will.

1. jwm says:

“There can be only one.”

1. Chris Dumm says:

It’s no Toledo Salamanca, that’s fer darn sure.

3. Daniel says:

For something that costs $75-$200, I’m actually somewhat impressed. I’ve seen much more expensive katanas fold -haha steel pun- under that kind of pressure.

4. Out_Fang_Thief says:

Geez, it was like watching my plumber swinging a sword. Watching his ineffectual demonstration of knocking things over, and using it for tasks not meant for a katana was painful beyond words. It would be funny if it weren’t so lame. This guy makes Cold Steel’s carcass cutting comedy seem like bonafide scientific research.

5. 2hotel9 says:

So, that 1045 held up OK, guess my 1060 Musashi will be alright. And yes, I have cut bone and muscle with it. Used the remains of a deer I was processing to do the coldsteel comedy cuts. Yea, it cuts bone and muscle quite effectively. And no. I won’t be doing that with my extremely old katana. I do occasionally exercise a modicum of good sense.

6. Katana King says:

I’ve had my fair share of learning the hard way with cheap katanas, really anything under $500 shouldn’t be expected to hold up very well.