Five people were injured Tuesday morning, some of them seriously, when a mentally ill homeless man went on a stabbing rampage on an Upper West Side riverfront bike path. New York’s, uh, ‘Finest’ were nowhere to be seen as 43 year-old Julius Graham used a large pair of scissors to stab or slash every person he encountered, according to NYC police commissioner Ray Kelley.
As in so many other emergencies, bystanders once again proved to be the real ‘First Responders’ here. They jumped Graham and held him for police, while others aided the wounded until EMS arrived.
All of this reinforces several points we’ve been making from the very beginning:
- There are no dangerous weapons, only dangerous people. This crazy didn’t even need a knife to stab and slash five people.
- Civilian disarmament laws like NYC’s Sullivan Act and New York’s utterly retarded knife laws only disarm the law-abiding civilians. Bad guys and nutbags will keep arming up whenever they want to.
- These laws need to change, so that there will be no more ‘defenseless victim zones’ for crazies and evildoers to terrorize.
- Mental illness is usually treatable, but we need to force the crazies to take their meds or else lock them up, way before they do things like this.
- In an emergency, don’t wait for help. Be the help.