Know Your Knife Laws #14: Vermont

Image: Wikipedia

Some state knife laws are tortured labyrinths of contradictory statutes, nonsensical definitions and unfettered police discretion in deciding whether your knife will earn you a trip to court (or jail) or a ‘have a nice day.’

Vermont is not one of those states. Long live Freedom And Unity!

The rules for knives in Vermont are delightfully simple: don’t have an automatic knife with a blade longer than three inches, don’t bring a knife onto school or government property, and don’t carry a knife (or any other dangerous or deadly weapon) with an intent to harm another person.

There are no other restrictions on knives in Vermont. Daggers, small autos, fixed blades, Bowies, balisongs, sword canes, bizarre martial-arts weapons, and even pointed sticks can be carried openly or concealed. Unlike many states, Vermont law focuses on a person’s intentions, rather than the characteristics of the knife itself.

And that’s it! I would have written this article a long time ago if I’d known how simple it would be.

comments

1. Daniel says:

Hmm, didn’t know this information. Exactly how does one EDC a broadsword? I must find out.

1. Duncan Idaho says:

Slung over the shoulder, but under the quiver.

1. jwm says:

Carefully.
      especially in crowds or if you drive a compact car.

2. 2hotel9 says:

Dan? Hung from shoulder is always a good option, thats how I carry my katana(44 inches long overall).

Chris, I believe we should use Vermont’s law on knives as a template for the entire nation! Start as a campaign and make it a movement. Hell! We could apply it to all manner of overly wordy “laws”.

3. Zach says:

I love the New England-ish area but hate it’s knife/gun laws. Vermont gives me hope.

4. Julian says:

Zach, North New England and CN, MA, RI might as well be different planets.

5. Jimulacrum says:

If you want another easy one, do New Hampshire next. I’m pretty sure there aren’t any laws about edged instruments left that haven’t been repealed. There might be something in there about felons carrying weapons, but that’s about it.

6. TK says:

Just a small correction. In Vermont, blade of auto knife must be less than 3″, not 3″ or less.