Not Quite New From Spyderco: Des Horn Wharnecliffe

Image courtesy SpydercoDes Horn’s collaboration manages to look completely unlike any other Spyderco I can think of. Wharnecliffe blades and choil-less handles aren’t typical features of our favorite knifemaker from Golden, Colorado, Earth.

But the Spidey hole, the skeletonized pocket clip, the G-10 scales and the FFG S-30V blade all remind us where this knife comes from. If history is any guide, this knife will ship razor sharp.

The needle-sharp Wharnecliffe blade is 3.1″ long, and the whole knife weighs a feathery 2.1 ounces. MSRP is over $200, but the street price is just over half that much.

Manufacturer’s link here.

comments

1. Bill says:

Am I missing something? I thought the purpose of a Wharnecliffe blade was to provide a sailor with a cutting/slicing implement that wouldn’t put him at risk of being impaled while using it on a rolling deck. Doesn’t a needle-sharp tip defeat the design intent?

1. Chris Dumm says:

Many modern ‘Wharnecliffe’ designs resemble a backwards tanto more than they resemble a blunt- tipped sailor’s knife. Go figure.

1. Bill says:

Then they are not, as your use of quotation marks denotes, Wharnecliffe blades.

2. PubliusII says:

OK, nothing agin’ Spyderco, but before you splurge $200 on this, just check out SanRenMu’s GB-702 (with pocket clip) or 1602G (w/o clip). Avg price $12.

Ebay has numerous new ones from several dealers.

Slick little knife, says this owner of one.

1. NavyRetGold says:

awesome. $9 with shipping included if you buy direct from China. Not my style of knife but you can’t argue with the deal. I own a few Enlan and Ganzo knives which are pretty impressive for the very low price. Nobody here willing to talk about them, so I won’t. Cheers!

2. Bill says:

It does look similar, without the hazardous needle point tip.

3. Dakota says:

I always saw wharncliff. Knifed with sharp tips, but sheepsfoot we’re the ones that had blunt tips.