Obscure Object Of Desire: Brian Tighe ‘Tighe Breaker’

Image courtesy Tighe KnivesIf knives were like exotic European sports cars, this ‘Tighe Breaker’ would be like a Ferrari with body panels hand-sculpted by Henry Moore and hand-painted by Pablo Picasso. Even though it is a knife, it can’t be understood as simply a cutting tool.

It’s a work of art that would cut like mad if it were ever required to. And, of course, it never will.

It isn’t the first Brian Tighe design that’s caught our eye, but in my opinion it’s the most stunning. This machine-striated blade appears to be etched with topographic lines that sculpt the oddly Heiroglyphic patterns within the damascus steel.

Image courtesy Tighe KnivesOther Tighe Breakers have slightly different blade and handle profiles, and of course no two pieces of Damascus steel ever look exactly the same.

Just like a Moore-Picasso Ferrari, this Obscure Object Of Desire is fated to be a safe queen no matter who owns it. The striated blade would clog with cheese or sausage instantly if this were ever used as a picnic knife, and sharpening it has got to be an absolute bitch.

I know it’s not practical. It’s just beautiful.

comments

1. Aharon says:

I’d prefer three buttermilk blueberry pancakes, real maple syrup, a side of sausage, fresh orange juice, and some freshly brewed coffee. Thank you. (it is now 8:04 AM)

1. Chris Dumm says:

At the Cameo, perhaps? 🙂

1. Aharon says:

Yes! At Portland’s Cameo.

2. jwm says:

I’m sorry guys. But that is one ugly looking thing. If that’s art, I’m a handsome man. And I ain’t.

3. Nanashi says:

They run $1600 for anyone who’s wondering.
    I still kinda want one.

4. dph says:

While I can appreciate the work that goes into these types of knives, I prefer something more useful and practical. To me beauty is in clean lines and functionality. Plus, who wants a Ferrari that just sits in the garage?

1. Derek says:

I’m in the same boat.

The amount of skill, knowledge, time, and effort that went into that knife is staggering. But I’d never buy it. I don’t know that I’d even keep it as a Safe Queen, I’d probably just sell it and make a few bucks.

Now, a Rockstead with a functional blade shape and nigh indestructible super steel? Sold.

5. sagebrushracer says:

I would rather have a rockstead.

6. NavyRetGold says:

Perhaps he should have named it “Wallet Breaker”. When a piece, such as this one, goes too far in the direction of art, and not far enough in the direction of useable knife, I lose interest.