High School Football Player Faces Expulsion, Criminal Charges For Pocketknife

Image courtesy CEKnives.comA Florida high school football player was arrested after a game last Friday, after another student told police that he saw small pocketknife (nothing like this one) inside his waistband during the game. Despite not hurting anyone and not intending to hurt anyone, he was arrested and will likely be expelled from school.

What bullshit.

From CBS Tampa Bay:

A police report indicates that Taylor did not threaten any players with the knife during the game.

[Principal Wayne] Livingston noted that football players will not be searched before games despite the incident.

“This young man made a terrible mistake. It was a bad decision on his part. There was absolutely no rhyme or reason for it,” Livingston told the Star Banner. “Out of the 1,600 students we have, the majority of the students do the right things. As adults, we have to guide and direct them.”

Taylor was charged with possession of a weapon on school property and booked into the Marion County Jail. He was released Saturday morning after posting a $2,000 bond.

So let’s get this straight: nobody was hurt, nobody was going to be hurt, and nobody even saw the little pocketknife except by accident, but this kid spent a night in jail and will now be expelled from school.

I considered calling Taylor the Irresponsible Knife Owner Of The Day, but his actions are more ‘inexplicable’ than ‘irresponsible.’ His puzzling ‘EDC For Third-And-Long’ play isn’t nearly as stupid as the heavy price that he’ll have to pay for it, though.

Zero-tolerance zero-intelligence policies like this serve no rational purpose except to hold us all hostage to the irrational fears and hysteria of hoplophobes. Free Trevonte Taylor!

comments

1. DQ says:

Besides the fact he committed no come, how exactly does expulsion serve the purpose of guiding and directing Taylor? Not asking him why he has a small knife on his person or giving any warnings is a standard anti-gun/knife reaction…

I have to wonder why he didn’t leave it in his pants pocket in the locker room. Does someone search thru their clothes then?

1. Nathan says:

I left my SOG Flash I in my girdle waistband when I played hockey a couple times

3. Arod529 says:

While zero tolerance policies can often be unjust, you have to be honest. Everyone knows there are no weapons allowed on campus. If you choose to do so anyways, you have to be willing to accept the consequences. That is the way life works. Actions have consequences. Unfortunately for the student, he hasn’t quite learned that yet. Is carrying a knife on campus really worth expulsion, jail, and a record. It is the police’s job to uphold the law, the citizens to reform the law.

1. Chris Dumm says:

Obedience to ‘The Law’ is not the ultimate goal of having laws. Justice is the goal, and laws are only a means to achieve that end. Having a small pocketknife at school is not ‘evil’ or dangerous per se, and the law only considers it ‘malum prohibitum’ which means ‘illegal because we say it’s illegal’ rather than ‘illegal because it’s just plain bad.’

Malum prohibitum laws are very uneven, and often have little to do with justice. Having a pocketknife in school, just like owning a 30-round AR magazine at home, is legal in some places and harshly punished in others. Harsh punishment for regulatory offenses like these does not serve the ends of justice, regardless of the cluelessness of the person who violates them.

4. Zach says:

I’m allowed to have knives at my HS Football games (well, not now because of playoff season) but I never packed anything more than a SAK Classic because 1st, I don’t want to lose my precious knife in a random mosh pit (common at my HS football games) and because I’ve never needed a knife at a game.