HOME EC 101: Kitchen Knife Selection, Use And Care. Just In Time For Thanksgiving.

I’m not as much of a foodie as I ought to be (my excuse du jour is our two finicky kids) but I do appreciate at least some of the joys of cooking. I’m also reading Anthony Bourdain’s Kitchen Confidential, which is hysterically funny even if like me you can’t tell a buerre blanc from a blanche mange.

Make the jump for the second video.

These videos come from the Indianapolis foodies of Indy Food Swappers, with a lot more information than most morning news-blather shows usually have time to give you.

comments

Vid 1–ATC recommends a Victorinox, but I don’t find it for less than $35 at Amazon or anywhere else, now.

Costco has a Pur Komachi set. I got one a year two years ago for my wife (new one has blade covers). The steel seems a bit soft, but they sharpen easily.

YouTube has lots of How To Use Kitchen Knife vids.

2. DrewN says:

The Victorianox are still the best deal for the money, although if you don’t need sanisafe handles I really like the MAC originals as well.

I had some MAC originals years ago. Don’t know when or why I got rid of them.

1. DrewN says:

Because they are tricky to sharpen because of the single edge most likely. And some people hate the rounded tips, but I prefer them in a busy kitchen.

Mine had the usual 2-bevel edge. I’m thinking that I found out about Henkels knives and started using them.

1. DrewN says:

I have a stamped Henckels 6″ boning that is my second most used knife (well, I only use 3 + a couple specialized butcher/breaking knives, but still) in the kitchen. Cost me $18 on sale. Not crazy about their forged knives however.

4. JAS says:

Victorinox stamped blade knives are unbeatable for the price. I own a 10-inch Chef and a 12-inch slicer and they are great. That said, I own a few forged Henckels and they really hold an edge well. My 6-inch Henckel Chef is over 20-years old and still going strong.

For boning birds though nothing beats a Japanese Honesuki. I own a Tojiro and love it:

I sharpen all my knives on Japanese stones….