Buck 822 ‘Sentry’ Is Not Your Grandfather’s Buck Knife

Image courtesy Buck Knives

Buck Knives is expanding their knife lineup, and moving way outside the traditional designs of their iconic 110 and 119 hunting knives. Their 822 ‘Sentry’ is aimed more toward the tactical/survival market than the hunting/fishing crowd, and this Made-In-USA blade is priced to challenge the SOG Seal Pup in its own market niche.

The Sentry was introduced at the 2013 SHOT Show, along with the ominously-named Hoodlum and Thug models. The Sentry’s blade steel, if you really need to ask, is Buck’s standby Paul Bos heat-treated 420HC. The 5-inch clip point has a full tang, partial serrations and a prominent guard. Instead of a leather belt sheath, the Sentry rides in a MOLLE-compatible sheath with tiedowns.

With a street price of around $55, the Buck Sentry seems to have Chinese- and Taiwanese-made SOG and Cold Steel tactical knives squarely in its sights. And it’s 100% made in Post Falls, Idaho.

Manufacturer’s link here.

comments

1. David says:

I am wondering why they went w/ 420 HC. 5-inch blade seems a bit large for that choice. Maybe cost? Would have to see how it functions to say for sure.

1. jack daniels says:

cuz its bad ass

2. Chris Dumm says:

That is a big, thick blade and it would probably work really well with a Duracoated tool steel blade. Ordinarily I would join you in second-guessing (or criticizing) 420HC for any knife over $30, but Buck’s 420HC doesn’t perform like other 420HC.

Heat-treat wizard Paul Bos knows how to make simple 420 act almost like an exotic supersteel. Buck has been using it so well, and for so long, that it probably helps them keep their costs down to deliver a good, US-made knife at a competitive price.

1. Daniel says:

I’ll second that, but by now I have an irrational fear of 420 and even some 440s. You won’t see me paying above $50 for 420 no matter how well heat treated.

Buck does however have an excellent line of spring steel knives in its Ron Hood line.

3. dph says:

Sorry, lost me with the serrations.

1. jimmyjames says:

Yep…silly, superfluous and other big words.

4. Roger says:

While it’s nice to see old companies stepping up and trying to adapt to the new market order, it looks a little off.

1. Johnny says:

Seems to my eyes, Buck is taking a place at the tactical knives table.
      Now that 99%-100% are American made, in the beautiful state of Idaho, My overall collection will contain many of the Buck fixed blade knives.
      Buck has a new and loyal customer for life!!!!

5. Mark N. says:

My little Bantam edc that MSRPs for $30 (paid $20) is 420HC. It’s hard enough that it took some effort to get the edge I wanted.

6. TheCW says:

I have one, it’s a great blade.
    Though I have not yet had to sharpen it, I can say with certainty that it holds its edge extremely well.

The serrations are great, unlike many tactical / survival knives where they are “teeth”, these are undulations, making it easier to cut rope, leather and other fibrous materials without the teeth getting clogged up.

The knife is well balanced and comfortable in my hand.

Though the sheath is rugged and looks like it will take a fair amount of abuse, it solicits my only real complaint:
    – The strap with the snap that holds the knife in the sheath should be offset to prevent the blade from catching it every time you pull it in or out. Without care, I would imagine that it will get damaged fairly quickly.