EDC For CCW: Boker Solo II

Image courtesy Boker Knives

Boker found success with their Jens Ansø-designed Solo, but the 3.75-inch tactical blade was a little big for EDC carry. Ansø and Boker scaled down the design to accommodate an EDC-friendly 3-inch blade, and the result is the Solo II.

The liner-lock Solo II features a spear-point N690BO blade and CNC-sculpted anodized aluminum scales. The right-side-only pocket clip is reversible for tip-up or tip-down carry. Like all Solingen Bokers, this one will hit your wallet well north of a C-note; BladeHQ lists them for $126.95.

comments

1. 2hotel9 says:

Sorry, gang, it is over $50 so it is anything but EDC friendly. Nice looking, massively overpriced.

1. Roger says:

The price for an effective EDC knife varies from person to person and budget to budget. I can afford to budget out 70 – 100 for a good EDC knife safe in the knowledge that I can always get another one or simply switch it out. The knives in this price range almost all invariably hold a good edge despite using it quite a bit on rough materials, come with warranties, open easily, and lock up great. That said, I’ve got great knives I could get on with for pocket change. The only reason I don’t is that they require touching up a lot more, if broken during regular use I won’t get another from the manufacturer, their lock up is iffy, they carry terribly or opening is difficult, and I can afford something better and can replace that something better out of pocket if necessary.

That being said, I do own and use cheap knives. But, for me at least, utility sits next to self defense pretty evenly. I’ve carried in tandem with a gun before(can’t anymore because I no longer work the job that gave me the permit) and carry pepper spray.

1. 2hotel9 says:

My EDC knives get used, a lot, and abused, a lot. I replace my Buck 110 every 6 to 8 years. My small folder is a Kershaw Vapor, have to sharpen it at least once a week, some times more. And always the possibility of loss(more from dropping in a bad spot than confiscation). For example, my Emerson CQC 9 is somewhere along the beach between Thumpertown Road and Kingsbury Beach Road on Cape Cod. THAT is the one that turned me against spending serious money on an EDC.

This Boker looks damned nice, and I am sure the materials are top grade, but $130 is a bit steep. Maybe after Christmas they will drop them down to $70 for clearance, I could go that much.

1. knightofbob says:

I have an old 440C Griptilian that I have carried almost every day for over ten years now. The main reason I am looking to replace it is that it really is more than I need at the moment, and I can afford it.

I find I don’t lose knives. When I get used to one being there, I notice instantly when it isn’t. I recently replaced both the flashlight on my keychain and my wallet, and I find myself constantly checking for both my keys and my money. I’ve also become used to carrying a S&W pen (souvenir from the NRA gift shop) and my Shaw Honor Guard coin. Good at forgetting my phone, though. Good thing I barely ever use it in public.

2. William Burke says:

You know what the only knife I’ve lost in decades is? It’s one I FOUND, a Twitch II I found on the ground in front of my corner mail box, in Taos.

One day, a couple or three months ago, I discovered I didn’t have it. Maybe it’s trying to find its original owner, like one of the cats you read about who walked across the country to find its owners.

So I bought a new one recently. I hope it finds its way home. I had the old one about 4 years.

3. 2hotel9 says:

I usually know when I lose one, most times down the open cells of a block wall, a well casing, in the Allegheny River, etc. The only one I had no clue on was the CQC 9, we were wind surfing and boogey boarding all afternoon(sans creepy Lurch Kerry skintight suit) went to open charcoal to cook supper and SHAZAM no knife. Spent 2 days at low tide searching for it, even borrowed a metal detector. No joy. Hopefully some lucky soul has got 10 years of use out of it after finding it.

4. William Burke says:

It sounds silly, doesn’t it, worrying about if our lost knife “found a good home”, like it was a family pet?

Yet that’s exactly what it feels like.

5. 2hotel9 says:

Yep. And I hope they did not find it stuck in their foot!!! Razor claim shells are bad enough.

2. William Burke says:

N690 is a very cool blade steel that takes and holds a very nice edge indeed. My Benchmade Stierer Eisen is N690.

You can tell a real knife reviewer by the band-aids on his fingers.

3. NavyRetGold says:

The boneheads in the marketing department would have you believe that an EDC knife is for sharpening pencils and opening junk mail. That is not what MY EDC is for. My EDC knife is for stabbing and cutting thugs when I run out of bullets in my gun. And occasionally opening a box. This Boker misses the mark in a couple of areas. If its not assisted opening, and you can’t flick it open with a thumb stud, or pop it open with a flipper or a wave, then its not a knife for me to EDC. The blade is a goofy design that might be good for pencil sharpening but its not designed for defense. The blade steel is excellent, but the knife design is just another exercise in wierd art. At $130 it’s well out of the “usable tool” category and solidly in the “expensive funky art knife” category. Looks nice, but No Thanks.

1. William Burke says:

Wow. This knife be too funky! I’m flabbergasted. All those criticisms seem SO misplaced. It has a decently deep belly – it seems eminently qualified to do.

You’re not a fan of modern industrial design, I take it?

1. Mark Davis says:

Yeah, the first thing I noticed was the blade belly. Looks like a good cutter. And the handle shape looks like it would facilitate thrusting. For a defensive knife, the 3″ blade may be a little on the short side, but I sure wouldn’t want to fight someone with one of these.

2. Nathan says:

There are many variations of EDC. My EDC is for opening boxes; self-defense is secondary. I have never needed it for that purpose, and after moving out of crime-infested California, I have not felt like I have needed it for self-defense.

I normally don’t criticize people when they say that a knife costing X-amount of dollars is too expensive to EDC because people place different values on different things. However, saying this is in the “expensive funky art knife” category is extremely misguided

1. William Burke says:

That’s the reason I used to carry 4 different knives. Now I’ve added a credit-card knife in my wallet, so I carry 5!

At least I don’t have to worry about being without a knife. I keep several within reach of the bed, also. Because I can.

4. NavyRetGold says:

Wow, I see I got a rise out of the spyderco fanboi crowd! You guys can criticize me all you want, I don’t care. This knife may be a fine choice for you guys and I encourage each of you to buy one, or several. For me It just won’t do the job. Its an odd blade design that’s a little too short and not well suited to self defense. The video said it can’t be opened one-handed, and for me that is the deal-breaker. $130 is not too much to pay if your purpose is to carry something funky and unique, but I feel its a bit much for a working tool. I can’t personally see any use for it but if it gets you excited, go for it. I also own dozens of knives and sometimes carry several. This knife won’t be one of them. If that makes me not a fan of modern industrial design, so be it.

1. William Burke says:

Spyderco? Kind of a joke, in my view. Would you shell out $310 for a Chris Reeve Green Beret Bowie? Because I sure would, if I had the do-re-mi. I’m kinda big on fine fixed-blade knives, and those are hard to beat.