SHOT Show EDC For CCW: Spyderco Domino

Image: Chris Dumm for TTAK

RF kept me pretty busy at the SHOT Show scouting for gun gear, but I played hooky long enough to scope out some amazing new knives. The Spyderco Domino is near the top of the “can’t afford; don’t care” list with a list of super-exotic materials and drop-dead gorgeous looks.

It’s a frame-lock, which isn’t the kind of knife we’ve come to expect from Spyderco. And it’s also a flipper opener, only the second such knife Spyderco has ever sold. And it doesn’t get any more ordinary from there.

Image courtesy Spyderco

The frame is all titanium, with a Reeve Integral Lock and a laminated G10 and carbon fiber scale that has to be seen and touched to be appreciated. The black pocket clip is 4-way reversible, although lefties will have to move the clip to cover up that gorgeous left-side scale.

The elite Spidey’s blade steel laughs in scorn at VG-10 and S35VN, because it’s a Koenigsegg to their Corvettes. The 3.13″ FFG blade is ground from CTX XHP, a new Carpenter alloy that combines the hardness of D2 tool steel (up to RHC 64) with the corrosion resistance of ho-hum 440C stainless.

And you’d have to ask about the price, wouldn’t you? MSRP is $350, with an internet street price of about $200. If only I could have talked them out of a sample…

comments

1. rab says:

I know liner locks, piston locks and lock backs. Whats a frame lock? Whats a flipper?

1. Nathan says:

Frame lock: Imagine a liner lock with no handle scale. The frame literally serves as a lock

Flipper: A deployment method, like thumb studs and thumb holes. This style has become popular over the past few years because they are fast to deploy and fun to play with

2. MD says:

Looks nice! Anyone specs on weight? And country of origin?

1. Nathan says:

Weight is just a tad over 4 ounces. Country of Origin is Taiwan, but don’t get swayed away from it because of that. I have heard nothing but good about this knife

1. MD says:

Street price of ~$200 for a knife made in Taiwan?? No way. I’ll stick to Sypdies and Benchmades that are manufactured in the U.S.

3. Michael C says:

Get them to make an assisted-opening version for about $75 less and I’ll take a look.

1. Nathan says:

Spyderco doesn’t do assisted knives. They use precision machining to produce fantastic manual actions that have no need for assistance

4. JAS says:

I so want. That said I don’t think it will replace my favorite of all time EDC, the Al Mar Falcon Ultralight with the Talon blade. Incredibly sharp Japanese steel. It’s also incredibly light because it is liner less. So much so that you never feel it’s there with you so you have to be careful it does not go into the washing machine with your pants.

The Al Mar website:

And the street price:

5. Bill says:

If you can’t wait, I just saw this link today – with color pics.

Blue twill CF is pretty sweet on the Domino…

1. It was far more than $24 million – this is an old figure from years ago.Interesting to read the views from the US. Those from here in Australia are, by and large, pretty different about Australia’s position on the UNSC. There is very little enthusiasm in Australian foreign policy circles and a real feeling that the UN (which is so detached from the Asia-Pacific) doesn’t bring much to the table for a country like Australia. We have very limited foreign policy resources and many feel these will be wasted in the UNSC which spends little time looking at countries and in regions that are most important to Australia’s national interest.

6. Racer88 says:

I got one as soon as they came out. Of my 50+ Spydies, it has become my favorite. It is quite possibly the ultimate Spydie. It’s got everything you’d want. Exotic steel. Cool and lightning fast deployment. And a combination of titanium and carbon fiber. It just doesn’t get any better.

7. mike says:

I just wish it had a deep pocket clip. Why don’t they put those on more models?

8. jwm says:

I don’t like the flippers on knives. Subjective, I know, but there it is. Kershaws assisted opener is my edc.

1. sagebrushracer says:

Don’t like flippers either, or assisted openers for that matter. Family who own several kershaw examples, broken torsion bars, flippers that don’t flip, ect.

I like my Spidey hole on my EDC Edura 4 lightweight. easy open, easy sharpen, no snags from opening studs, just simple FFG goodness. everyone that I let use it (non knife ppl) always comment on how sharp it is.