SHOT Show: New Spyderco ‘Tusk’ Isn’t Just For Sailors. It’s For Really Rich Sailors.

Image: Chris Dumm for TTAK

You’ve probably never seen a folder like Spyderco’s new Tusk before. I sure haven’t, and I’ve been drowning in blades for almost a year now. Ostensibly a sailor’s rigging knife, it features a highly corrosion-resistant titanium body, LC 200N blade, and 200-series stainless steel marlinspike.

The blade features a Reeve Integral Lock, and the marlinspike uses a ceramic ball lock which securely holds the spike open and closed. The spike contains one small shackle key, and another larger shackle key is formed between the spike and the frame when it’s locked closed.

The Spidey guy told me their MSRP is expected to be around $400 for this super-posh mariner’s knife, but Knife Center is pre-selling them for $255. For money like that, you’d damned well better clip this upper-crust sailor’s knife to a floating keychain. Titanium is really light, but it still doesn’t float.

comments

1. Roger says:

If you sail as much to justify buying a specialized tool like this, you’d probably have the money to buy a few of these without sweating the cost too much.

2. Robert says:

For a true sailor’s/yachtsman’s knife I’d want a serrated edge for quick work on rope/webbing.

1. ChuckN says:

Seconded. And maybe less of a point. A
      chisel end or sheepsfoot would be better.

1. Jonathan says:

The Salt comes with a serrated sheep’s foot for 70 bucks.

3. David says:

Am I the only one who thought “Predator” upon seeing this?

1. Dave says:

I thought Krull myself

This is $50 less. (Still too much for me, if I had use for one.)

5. Pat Carver says:

I have a few knives by David Boye. He uses a casting technique that creates a micro sawtooth edge that cuts things like rope very well. His main product these days are sailor’s knives. I have one, and like it very much. Made from a Cobalt steel that cannot rust.

Check out the video done by Sailing magazine to see just how well these knives perform against competitors products.

I have no stake in this company, just think their stuff is really cool.

1. Michal Potok says:

It does not seem to have a lock for the spike… It is a must.