Kershaw Expands ‘Blackwash’ Lineup For 2014

Image courtesy KAI-USA

Is there really nothing new under the sun? The knives may be the same, but Kershaw’s ‘Blackwash’ blade finish is a completely different look from the same old same old of bright, satin and stonewashed finishes we’re used to seeing. It’s a weathered black stonewashed look, that’s a little more practical and a little less tacticool.

Kershaw/ZT brought out the new finish on a handful of models last year, and Blackwash proved to be pretty successful. None of the Blackwash knives were available at the Kershaw factory sale last year (at least, by the time I got in) or I’d have grabbed a few of them.

leek blackwash

KAI is expanding their Blackwash line with new 14C28N Blurs and Leeks (shown here) and a handful of Cryo models. The Leek and Blur models retail for about $65, which is the same as 14C28N models with other finishes.

The stonewashed Blur is already a very handsome knife, but this new Blackwash Blur really has it going on. I’ll have my eyes peeled for one at next year’s factory sale.

comments

1. 2hotel9 says:

I like non-reflective finishes, so I will be checking these out. Any idea how well they wear from use? Over the years have had no few dark finished knives that just peeled or scratched off from even light use.

2. Chris Dumm says:

The blade coating on the SOG Seal Pup took some damage from cardboard and wood chopping, so I know where you’re coming from. On the other hand, the tiger stripe DLC coating on Zero Tolerance has held up amazingly well.

1. 2hotel9 says:

A friend has several SOG folders and they all lost blade finish from use, not impressed on that score, otherwise SOG knives are nice. My KaBar’s parkerized finish got scratched up, then again I have been pretty abusive with it working up deer and cow carcasses.

3. NavyRetGold says:

I’m a fan of the Blur and carry one most of the time, but Jeez.. How many different variations of the model can Kershaw come up with? I imagine the collectors must be having a spastic fit by now. I am quite content with the two models I currently own, the 14C28N Black Blur, and the S30V Stonewashed Blur, both with plain edge.

4. MD says:

I dunno know what’s so special about the “Blackwash” line. The Blur pictured above looks an awful lot like the Blur I edc’ed in 2005/2006. Black handle, black blade.

1. 2hotel9 says:

Different chemical process, apparently. It is supposed to actually push the “finish” into the surface of the metal. I want to have my hands on one to see just how well their process actually works.

5. Adam says:

I’m really digging the blackwash. I’ll be buying a lot of Kershaw’s this year including a few models I already own in the new finish.

6. Just bought the D2 Composite blade, Blackwashed Leek today at SMKW. More on this tonight.