Know Your Knives: WASP Injection Knife

Image courtesy waspknife.com

When used as weapons, knives usually cause death by exsanguination, which is to say, bleeding. At the risk of being ghoulish, they also (occasionally) cause death by decapitation, pneumothorax or infection. But they never cause death by decompressive tissue disruption, unless they’re WASP injection knives.

The heart of a normal knife is its blade, but not Wasp injection knife. The heart of this gruesomely effective close-in weapon is a CO2 cylinder, which is triggered to vent out through a hollow channel in the blade and into the target.

CO2 injection weapons were originally developed by divers as protection against sharks. They were once known by colorful names like ‘Barf The Magic Dragon,’ and cause frightful injuries to any animal they’re used against. When instantly injected with several dozen cubic feet of CO2, sharks were known to expel most of their internal organs out their mouths (and other orifices) while rocketing to the surface.

These effects are similar to the effects of powerheads or bang sticks, but without the concussive effects of detonating a firearm cartridge underwater.

The WASP injection knife is currently marketed as a defensive knife for divers, hunters and outdoorsmen. I’m not a diver so I won’t speculate as to its utility as an anti-shark weapon, other than to say it looks a hell of a lot better than nothing.

But I’d never plan on using any knife against a bear or mountain lion, unless I had nothing else available. Bears and cats are a lot stronger than us, and can kill or disable a human with a single blow. Unless you’re a fearless badass with a gassed and spinning chainsaw, any distance weapon is preferable to any hand-to-hand weapon when it comes to fighting wild animals. (I would count spears as distance weapons for this purpose.)

The WASP costs $500, which is a lot of money to spend to kill the bear that probably just killed you too. If you’re worried about bears, this kind of money could buy you a new Mossberg 500 Cruiser shotgun, a hundred rounds of 00 buckshot and (more practically) a couple of jumbo-sized cans of OC spray.

If you do buy an injection knife, though, please send me a video? I’ll buy the watermelons.

comments

1. 2hotel9 says:

I think it would be more impressive if you had the melons underwater. I bet sticking it in a shark or barracuda 20 or so feet down would be, well, impressive to see. Bet if you don’t get it into the body cavity you just piss it off, though.

2. MD Matt says:

Betting the pressure at greater depths compounds the affect.
    Neat.

3. David says:

I was wondering when you guys were going to get around to this BA (@ least in theory) knife.

Rigging this thing to a pole seems to be the next addition this gizmo needs.

AND coating it in black & yellow colors 🙂

1. 2hotel9 says:

Yep, using it as a bangstick seems a better idea. And if you are going to do that a shotgun shell would seem even better. Hard on the ears but fairly lethal, and hopefully putting less blood in the water than exploding their body would. 😉

1. David says:

Yeah I was thinking kill stick too. Another advantage is they are cheaper but they are louder.

1. 2hotel9 says:

My older brother had a 20 gauge bangstick we messed around with, hit a plastic bucket full of water with it and it was not all that loud, he hit a barracuda with it in 20 odd feet of water and said it was loud as hell. I ‘splained to him no, it was concussive as hell, in the water, 6 feet away.

2. Andrew says:

It isn’t so much they are louder, but sound travels faster through water than air

2. LordByron says:

they make shark poles that blast CO2 into sharks through a stout sharpened tube which were the inspiration for the knife

1. mike says:

where can you buy one of these and what are they called?

4. jwm says:

This will be the signature weapon of a Bond villian. And the dvd is the only place any of us will see it.

5. S_J says:

That’s just about the last weapon I’d want to face. I can’t think of many worse ways to die than by being stabbed and then suffering a catastrophic prolapse. I realize they’re primarily for divers and expensive, thus niche items, but it’s surprising that these nasty tools haven’t been used in any assaults or murders that I know of.

1. natermer says:

they are not for divers.

If you are close enough to a attacking dangerous animal that you can stab them then you are in the process of being killed. This knife, even if it kills them, still won’t save your life.

THIS article describs what the knife is really for:

6. drone says:

Use that CO2 to shoot the blade out!

7. Alex Smith says:

Is the Wasp Injection CO2 knife legal in Canada?

I know it’s legal to own in the USA!

I would like to know if it’s legal in Canada!

KnifeCenter retails it, so would like to know if anybody in Canada owns one!

I would like to get one!

Thanks

8. jim says:

Where do I go to buy a WASP knife?

9. Bo says:

I need to know if it is legal as well. I don’t see it in any of the prohibited weapons lists on the Canada customs website. If anybody finds out if this is legal or not please let us know!

10. Bo says:

You get it at knifecenter.com. Also if anybody knows if this site is legit please let me know.

Thanks

Bo

11. Ralph says:

Check out this episode of “1,000 Ways to Die”. It is pretty effective on humans! http://1000waystodie.wikia.com/wiki/No_Guts…_All_Gory

12. General D. Squirrel says:

Oh, come on, this knife is marketed as a “shark knife” for the lawyers. It’s really designed to kill humans quietly and quickly with lots of pain and little chance of recovery. Its an assassin’s tool, let’s call it what it is.

It’s a known fact that as an assassin’s tool, its even more effective if poison is stored in the gas port. I’ve been told that this can be done by pushing a tiny bit of soft wax 2cm down the tube insert poison and then seal it with a tiny bit of wax toward the tip.