Obscure Object of Desire: KLAX Multi-Tool

klaxI am always looking for new interpretations of ancient edged tools. It fascinates me to watch how people try to build a better mousetrap. Sometimes the results are good, like the Viscerator skinning/butchering knife,  but usually the resulting tool is a Rube Goldbergesque monstrosity (the 10-in-1 $14 Whetstone camping tool comes to mind) that fails to perform more than the most rudimentary of functions.

Enter the KLAX. Well, kind of.  It isn’t in production yet. Still a prototype, the KLAX will come in 4 varieties if they can get their Kickstarter campaign off the ground. They plan on offering it in slightly varied configurations including a titanium version (I question the utility and edge holding ability of a titanium axe), as well as a stripped down “Feller” version that does not have as many “multitool features”.

I have seldom come across a tool that purports to “do everything” that does a particularly good job of anything. But I have so much respect for the creative dreamers out there. It takes a great deal of courage to put it all on the line and try to sell your dream to others. One of you will change the world.

comments

1. dph says:

Looks like a solution in search of a problem. I’d rather have a real axe and carry a Leatherman on my belt. Just visualizing the head flying off that thing and burying itself in the kids head. I’ll pass.

1. Jason Coyne says:

Also the Freemont survival blade. http://fremontknives.com/farsonblade.php

2. VaqueroJustice says:

I’m thinking that this could be a good solution for a survival kit.
    For a car kit or other kits, sometimes axes are a bit bulky. If the
    clamping system works as advertised, hou could use a wide range
    of limb or stick sizes as a haft.

1. It is this role in which it intrigues me. I can think of a gazillion places where it can be stashed (a packed drift boat for example) when an axe might be too cumbersome.

3. Mike L says:

Ok, I give up….what the hell is THUMB JIMPING?

4. SigGuy says:

Mike L. Jimping is a rough textured surface on the spine of a knife that affords better grip and prevents the thumb from slipping off the back of the knife, especially when your thumb is wet or greasy.

5. Dogman says:

Your autoplay video is freezing my computer!

No more autoplay videos.

1. Are you talking about the one at the top of the page? It is not an autoplay video. It is actually a .gif file. I am seeing it just fine on both my pc and several iOS products.

6. Michael says:

420J2. What an absolutely terrible steel choice…