NY State Senator: Ban Machetes!

bill-ban-weapons

“The fact that anyone can easily purchase this potentially lethal tool is just crazy.” Thus spake New York state Senator Tony Avella on the open availability of machetes in the Empire State. New Yorkers already face a blade length limit of four inches on pocket knives (as long as they’re not switchblades, assisted openers or “gravity” knives). But machetes have slipped though the regulatory cracks as they qualify as butcher knives under the state’s overweening laws that govern almost every aspect of daily life . . .

But why stop at machetes? Apparently, Senator Avella hasn’t visited a hardware store recently. If he had, he’d be terrified at the prospect of any Tom, Dick or Julio strolling in and buying a brush axe just as easy as you please. Or a cropping knife. Can you imagine his horror at the ready availability of, say, a hatchet?

Does he have any idea that upper west siders can walk out of Zabar’s with a pound of prosciutto, some hand sliced nova salmon and something as deadly as a 6″ utility knife?

The mind boggles.

comments

1. This is why those of us in upstate NY wish we had different laws than those downstate. Almost any time you hear of something like this it is from the New York City area, in this case, Queens. There’s actually a group in upstate trying to become a two state area(newamsterdamny.org), and a group out in the southern tier trying to secede to Penn.

1. ChuckN says:

Same thing here in Maine. Many of those
      pressing for change fled the insanity of states
      like Massachusetts. What makes it infuriating
      is that many of the changes wanted are the
      same ones that drove their own states to
      become the rat holes they are.

2. Mike L says:

Look, politicians are scumbags. NY State has some of the most corrupt in the nation. This wiki list is not even up to date but it gives you an idea what we face.

Maybe you New Yorkers should go demonstrate outside his house with torches and pitchforks. Flashlights and pitchforks just don’t go right.

1. I’m sure there is some law down in Queens about “Gathering while under the light on torches while carrying dangerous and illegal non folding pitchers” equals 17 years in jail….while Rapists get 10-12(http://manhattanda.org/press-release/convicted-rapist-sentenced-11-years-state-prison-2010-sex-assault-greenwich-village)

4. David says:

The scary part is – this guy is serious! A couple of years ago I would have said this was a joke. I still say its a joke just that the joke is NYC.

5. sagebrushracer says:

maybe they should ban hookers and drugs too, im sure the law will be sooper effective. I bet if they banned killing people that would help too.

6. PY-T says:

HOW THINGS WORK:

Here’s the deal, let’s say I am elected to a state office as a rep in “Big City.” A crime occurs say, a butter knife murder. Now maybe only one or two murders have ever happened with butter knives but dog gone it, it happened to the people who elected me and I have to justify my job cause I want to be reelected and have to prove that I am actually working, not just collecting a pay check. So I introduce a law banning all butter knives. Now maybe these butter knife murders have only occurred in Big City but since I am in a state office, my law suggestions can only effect the entire state. Do I care? No, the rest of the state doesn’t elect me so I don’t care. So depending on the favors owed to me or the trading of my vote for someone else’s legislation, it could result in a state wide ban on butter knives.

Hey, butter is fattening so we are doing you a favor.

1. Give me a couple of hours, a piece of sandstone, a roll of duct tape, and a piece of discarded hvac duct and presto, I can make myself a scary “ghost knife” without the government so much as having a credit card receipt. This is completely pointless grandstanding.