Michigan man uses knife to fend off black bear attack.

65389861-a3a9-4a37-a574-20c60f569773-ABCBEARATTACKPKG

Ron Davis shows the knife he used to fend off a bear attack.

A Greenwood Township Michigan man was porcupine hunting when he was knocked over from behind by what turned out to be a black bear.

From UpNorthLive:

Ed Golder, a Michigan DNR public information officer, says a man went out hunting and that the bear attacked him while he was sitting in a blind. He says the man stabbed the bear in the shoulder, the bear took off, and that the man suffered non-life threatening injuries…”

“..The bear came up behind me, knocked me on the ground,” Davis said. “I rolled over, scratched me a little bit. Took my knife, hit him with the knife and he took off running. I didn’t see him until I rolled over. I wasn’t even sure what knocked me to the ground. I was shocked. I never even thought my entire life I’d ever be that close to a bear.”

There was a report of a bear attack in Tennessee a couple of weeks back, but that turned out to be a hoax.  I keep checking back, hoping to read that it was a knife attack because I thought it would make good blog fodder, but there still hasn’t been an update.

I encounter bears from time to time when fishing in the Smokies. I have never had an aggressive encounter, even the time I came upon a mama and her cubs.

315617_10150361125136745_5702222_n

Mama bear and cubs from Greenbrier Creek GSMNP. This was from a couple of years ago, but I was guiding on that same section of river today.

It was a couple of years ago, but I crested a mobile-home sized boulder when I saw a mama and 3 cubs. I hunkered down and waved my clients up to watch. She was between us and the cubs, and was not looking alarmed, but was obviously aware of our presence. She circled back to the trailing cub and nipped it on the butt, shepherding it and the rest of her brood across the river and up through the rhododendrons.

It was one of the coolest things I have ever witnessed.

comments

1. AW1Ed says:

Good call! I’m holding my 119 in my hand, and that’s what he has in his.

1. stuartb says:

Looks like a lucky dude!

So, what knife would you pick for bear?

1. AW1Ed says:

One in 12 gauge, slug.

2. I_Like_Pie says:

I love those buck knives….Great little workhorses. They either don’t get enough love in the uppity knife community or are so ubiquitous they can’t be seen in plain sight anymore.

The US equivalent to France’s Opinel, Sweden’s Mora, or Switzerland’s SAK.

3. MD says:

Yeah, I love the Buck 119. Its not a hard use knife, but mine takes a great edge and never rusts. It is my default kitchen knife, and lives in the kitchen sink. Its always there, ready for whatever food prep I’m doing. I’m also comforted by it’s potential as a last-ditch defensive tool, if any bears come calling.

4. Sgt. Adams says:

It’s great that the man had a good knife and the guts to use it. He’s tough! That said there is something in this scenario I don’t understand.

Porcupine hunting?

That can’t be much of a sport. Porcupines are slow and damn near blind. A man armed with a stick can kill one easily. Dressing it out might be a problem with all those sharp quills with the little micro-barbs that make them sink in deeper and deeper every time the flesh moves. You couldn’t pay me to skin one.

Why would anyone hunt porcupine? Are they really good to eat? Are their quills valuable?

1. I have used their quills to tie flies. They are hollow and float forever.

I have pulled multiple year’s worth from roadkill more than once. They are best when fresh. They tend to dry out and crack after a couple of years.

2. IIRC they are also used in making Native American decorative pieces and there is a market for them there as well.

1. Sgt. Adams says:

Thanks. Now that you mention it, when I was a kid (1960’s) we did use porcupine quill floats. They were big, probably from the the old-world African porky. I had forgotten that until you mentioned them.

As for the Native American festive gear that’s news to me but if it’s part of their religion well, what’s a few porcupines here and there.