After self-defense acquittal in DKU, Univ. of Washington student wants his life back

Jarred Ha, second from left, was facing 20 years in prison when the jury ruled he used his knife in self-defense.

Jarred Ha stabbed a fellow University of Washington student following a dispute over a parking spot. He was waiting outside of a university residence when he confronted a woman about her frequent straddling of parking spaces. She punched him, and while defending himself she ended up on the ground. After bending down to help her up, he was attacked from behind by several of the woman’s friends. But things got really out of hand when Ha was assaulted by Graham Harper, who was initially praised for his coming to the “rescue” of the girls before he ended up stabbed by Ha’s karambit.

From Seattle Times:

Friends Shane Colburn and Elana Helfand, both UW students who were sober and had no connection to anyone involved in the fight, happened upon the scene as Ha tussled with the women. They saw the first woman fall to the ground and watched Ha walk away as “this other girl was punching and slapping him in the head,” said Colburn.

“He wasn’t hitting her back, more like blocking her strikes,” said Colburn, 22, who along with Helfand testified at Ha’s trial.

That’s when Harper came out of the house and went “full-on sprinting” after Ha, “yelling something to the effect of, ‘You never hit girls,’ ” Colburn said in an interview. “I remember being concerned this was escalating now — the way he was running was aggressive.”

From his vantage, Colburn said, he saw Harper grab Ha and repeatedly ram Ha into parked cars.

“I had my phone out and yelled to them I was going to call the cops,” said Colburn. “Graham was definitely bigger than Jarred.”

He looked away as he spoke with a 911 dispatcher, and when he looked back, Ha was gone and there was blood pooling at Harper’s feet. Colburn and Helfand tended to Harper and waited with him until the ambulance came.

Ha is not out of legal trouble however, he is facing a civil suit from Harper who responded to the verdict thusly:

“I believe there was a lot of legal manipulation. O.J. got off,” Harper said. “I still believe I was right and he was so, so wrong in hitting those girls.”

Harper’s legal team faces some heavy lifting. Not only did the jury clear Ha, they issued a special verdict:

…rendering a somewhat rare finding that Ha used lawful force to defend himself. That finding means he is eligible to be reimbursed by the state for the roughly $40,000 his family spent on his criminal defense.

We applaud Ha for standing up for himself against a drunken bully who was causing him grievous bodily-harm. Somewhat less applause for the friends who sat back with cell phones rather than step forward to their friend’s aid. However, we are pleased that Ha retains his freedom. We hope for a just disposition of the civil case as well.

comments

1. samuraichatter says:

I cannot tell you how much I like this story. A “white knight” gets stabbed for being a royal douche. If the other female(s) were the aggressor(s) they should be charged w/ assault. Ha should sue her/them as well as the knight.

2. J G says:

Seems like over reaction on a lot of peoples part .
    What’s Ha doing with a lethal looking knife at school in the first place and
    I’m sure if Ha was white it would be an entirely different case right now

1. sagebrushracer says:

“lethal looking” is the weakest and most over used whine in the world. I could paint my old bronco up in flaming skulls and inverted pentagrams while installing a snow plow with spikes on it.

I am sure it would look WAY more lethal but the sad fact is that I am still as likely to run over a bunch of nuns and kindergarten kids as I was before. so far the only thing I have ever killed with a vehicle was the rabbits and a deer that jumped in front of me, oh and a few birds.

I despise the “lethal looking” excuse because it is exactly that, a excuse. The karambit is no more lethal than a kitchen knife of same length.

He spoke to a woman about her lousy parking and was assaulted. Then he was assaulted by one of her friends. Then again by another person and he defended himself with a knife. I believe he would have been legally and morally right to leave all 3 lying in a pool of their own blood. Assaulting a person gives them the legal right to defend their person up to and including lethal force in most states.

If you don’t want to get stabbed or shot then don’t go hitting people because they spoke out about your lousy parking etiquette.

3. Paul Rain says:

He should be on a plane home.

1. His family lives in Washington State. He is home.

2. sagebrushracer says:

way to be subtly racist there….

1. I didn’t think it was particularly subtle.

4. Matt in FL says:

“Somewhat less applause for the friends who sat back with cell phones rather than step forward to their friend’s aid.”

They weren’t friends with Ha, the way I read it. He was a stranger to them. They were listed as “friends” meaning the two witnesses were friends with each other, but then the article specifically states they “no connection to anyone involved in the fight.”