New from CRKT: The Snap-On Exclusive Relay by Ken Onion

crkt-snap-on-relay-plain-edge

I’ve seen Snap-On branded pocketknives before, but none of them have ever stood out for me. Not anymore. Snap-On is stepping up their game by partnering with CRKT for the Relay. It is an AUS8 bladed flipper designed by none other than industry legend Ken Onion – as if you couldn’t tell just by looking at it! MSRP is the same as the CRKT G.S.D. that I enjoyed testing last year and it carries the same blade steel and IKBS ball-bearing pivot system. Full specs and video after the jump…

crkt-snap-on-relay-serrated

Tualatin, Oregon, U.S.A.—February 22, 2016

This stylish knife isn’t one you’ll be handing off to work buddies.

CRKT® has released the Relay™ everyday carry knife designed by Ken Onion. A Snap-on® Exclusive, this knife is one you’ll want to keep all to yourself. But once you see how well it performs, you can’t help but let others take a try.

The compact size hides a beefy 3.16” drop point blade with a satin finish, or a black finish with Triple Point™ serrations. When it comes to jobs around the shop, it’s like you’re holding a hand full of dynamite. But you’ll be safe with a locking liner and an IKBS™ ball bearing system that deploys the blade smoothly and effortlessly.  Whether you’re at work scraping a gasket or in the field gutting a moose, the Relay™ finishes strong.

A textured, glass-filled nylon handle with tire tread grip has a universal design to accommodate various hand shapes. When you’re around the oil of the garage, this knife will stick with you during a hard day’s work.

With several awards under his belt, Onion creates blades that are as functional at chores as they are at turning heads. The Relay™ is sure to be another knife to add to your list of must-haves.

If you’re looking for an everyday carry that can work hard at the shop and clean up well for a night out, the Relay™ is the one to grab from your Snap-on® Franchisee’s truck.

The Relay™ knife manufacturer’s suggested retail price is $95.95

The Relay™ Black knife manufacturer’s suggested retail price is $99.95

Link to Product Information Page: www.crkt.com/snap-on-relay-pocket-knife

PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS

RELAY™
SKU: SEK80MNSK
Blade: Length: 3.16” (80 mm)
Edge: Plain
Steel: AUS 8, 57-59 HRC
Finish: Satin
Thickness: 0.50” (12.7 mm)
Overall: 7.5” (191 mm)
Weight: 4.7 oz. (135 g)
Handle: Glass-Filled Nylon
Style: Folding Knife w/ Locking Liner

RELAY™ BLACK
SKU: SEK80MNKK
Blade: Length: 3.16” (80 mm)
Edge: Combo
Steel: AUS 8, 57-59 HRC
Finish: Ti-Nitride Black
Thickness: 0.50” (12.7 mm)
Overall: 7.5” (191 mm)
Weight: 4.7 oz. (135 g)
Handle: Glass-Filled Nylon
Style: Folding Knife w/ Locking Liner

Founded in 1994, CRKT® is the industry’s premier brand of knives, tools, and lifestyle accessories, with a reputation for innovative design. For more information, call: (800) 891-3100, email: info@crkt.com, on the web:www.crkt.com.

comments

1. Bolt says:

I always got a kick out of the crappy snap on knives. Tool companies always put their name on the junkiest knives and multi tools

I have always had the impression that Snap-On are high-quality tools. This does seem to reinforce that impression.

2. Robert H. says:

Looks extremely capable for work tasks. Can you guys test this one out?

People give Aus-8 a bad rap, but I’ve found it to be pretty good. I don’t like that you can’t easily sharpen it all the way back to the plunge line.

3. janitor says:

i have a snap on kershaw blur. idk what the blade is made of, but it seems to put up more of a fight than sanvik

4. Shannon says:

I purchased 1 of each and I love these knives. CRKT does a great job with their aus8 and I have no problem with the ease of sharpening. As a knife fanatic (have multiple sebenzas, spydercos, zt’s, benchmades, etc) and a tool hoarder this hits on 2 different levels of cool for me. Blades are dead nuts centered thanks to bearings, I use the black one in the shop and haven’t had the pivot get all nasty and gummed up yet. The super high grind on the wide blade let’s it get nice and thin behind the edge, after a run through on the edge pro these things get dangerously slicey! If your a tech and you like knives, buy one or both… you’ll like em once you start using em.

5. Shannon says:

Let me add this to my other post…. I have purchased 5 benchmades, my 940 included, with worse fit and finish than this knife. Blade grinds were more even, blades were actually centered, smoother and better cutters with nice rounded spines, more sebenza-esque in the manner than benchmade (I have a large and small sebenza insingo carbon fiber exclusives from knifeworks). Not that I would rank this above benchmades, obviously less costly materials here for $100+ price point…. not saying theyre worth what snap on or the dealers charge (probly half price honestly) but they were finished way better and more consistent than many Benchmades I’ve bought or handled. So if your doubting the cost, yes it’s aus8, but it’s done really well, it’s easy to maintain and they’re just a pleasure to own and use. It’s also cool to know people just can’t walk into a store and buy them. I’ve sold many for my snap on guy to my friends that like knives after they’ve handled mine. Definitely not just a gimmicky knife someone put they’re name on. Check out the snap on rave knife too as well as the snap on Kershaw exclusives too…. good knives that strike 2 different kinds of cool for techs(mechanics)/car lovers/tool guys/knife guys/you name it