I haven’t found much mention of it in American media, but there was a horrific massacre on Saturday in the Democratic Republic of Congo. Scores have been “hacked to death” by Islamist rebels from a Ugandan group known as the Allied Democratic Forces (ADF).
In what the government described as a massacre in revenge for military operations in the area, the machete attacks happened in the town of Beni in North Kivu on Saturday night but local officials believe the mounting death toll could eventually reach 75.
Army spokesman Mak Hazukay earlier said the attack was carried out by the Allied Democratic Forces (ADF), a partly Islamist armed group of Ugandan origin.
The group has been present in DR Congo for more than two decades and is accused of copious human rights abuses.
Hazukay said the ADF rebels had ‘bypassed’ army positions ‘to come and massacre the population in revenge’ for military operations in the area.
The victims were found in Rwangoma, a neighbourhood on the outskirts of Beni, according to government spokesman Lambert Mende.
Mende said the government has previously sought to ‘alert the world to the jihadist threat’ in DR Congo, adding: ‘In our country, the armed forces of the DRC are alone in the face of the indifference of the international community’.
Hundreds have been killed in machete-massacres throughout Africa over the past several decades. The attacks typically fall along ethnic and religious lines.