Today I learned: How to properly wear a samurai sword.

It is a question that has vexed me since I came across this piece, which is to say I never really noticed or gave it much thought. However, upon reading the article, it is actually interesting and makes a good deal of sense. How is one supposed to wear a samurai sword? Blade up or blade down? Enquiring minds want to know.

Turns out it depends on what you are wearing.

From En.RocketNews24.com

If you’ve watched a lot of period dramas, you might have noticed that sometimes samurai wear their curved swords with the cutting edge facing the ground, and other times facing the sky. As it turns out, there’s a reason why, as explained in this illustration shared by Japanese Twitter user Suuko, who seems to be a pretty big fan of Touken Ranbu, the hit computer game that stars a cast of anime-style pretty boys representing actual historical samurai swords.

ss-1

note how while wearing armor, the sword hangs below the hip level

As you may have guessed, that armor wasn’t made from papier-mâché. Anything that was going to protect a samurai on the battlefield needed to be crafted from sturdy, heavy metal. The plating along the upper arm and shoulder made it difficult for the wearer to raise his arm very high, but by keeping the cutting edge pointing down, the sword could be drawn simply by extending the arm forward.

Once Japan’s government was stabilized, though, open warfare became less common. With the end of centuries of civil war, most samurai in the 16th century and later were going about their business dressed not in armor, but in kimono, with their sword tucked into the sash holding the robe closed.

ss-3

whereas when worn in a kimono sash, the sword rides higher

Having the sword’s edge facing the ground would put the sword’s hilt especially high, level with the ribcage. Unless the samurai had disproportionately long limbs, extending an arm upward to draw the sword would have been at best difficult, and at worst impossible, so instead swordsmen started wearing their weapons blade-up, making them easier to unsheathe.

Now you know. And as the great military philosopher G.I. Joe once said, “knowing is half the battle”.

Update: Welcome Instapundit readers. Thank you for visiting, and thanks to the Good Doctor for sending you our way. Our mission at TTAK is to combine the best knife reviews on the Internet with news, politics, humor, and culture from the knife world.   Please follow us on Facebook, Twitter (@knifetruth), orInstagram (@knifetruth),if you are so inclined.

comments

1. Nail nick says:

Neat, now I’d like to,know how hipsters wear their tac folders with skinny jeans, and shirts both tucked or untucked .

1. Jonathan says:

Right handed, tip up. You need a tight tshirt to be tacticool enough.

2. Gordon Tillman says:

Good info Clay!

When I get my Samurai sword, I’m going to wear it like Michonne, from Walking Dead:

1. Mark says:

How you gonna re-sheath it?

1. Gordon Tillman says:

I’ll have to go re-watch some of the episodes and see how she does it…. 🙂

1. Tom Maguire says:

I think she just stabs randomly behind her back. Probably a zombie back there anyway.
          And doesn’t Deadpool have the same problem times two? Of course with his quick healing missing the sheath is not a big problem.

3. PeterK says:

Huh. Neat!

4. Joe Mack says:

I’m sorry, I wear it the way I want.
    Because that’s the way I roll.

5. Steve Skubinna says:

A katana is worn sharp edge up, a tachi is worn sharp edge down. You can tell by examining the maker’s signature on the tang, as it was placed so as to be outwards when the sword was worn.

Instapundit linked at 5PM (I’m late, but just found it.)

7. Enpassant says:

A minor point regarding how the warrior had to work with his armor: the helmet itself (kabuto) was more an impediment to raising a weapon over your head than was the shoulder armor or sleeves. There were various bits on the sides (fukikaeshi), on the sides/back (sikoro) and the badges of rank on the top (kuwugata, etc) that meant you literally could not raise a weapon straight up over your head.

Instead, when fighting in armor, a straight cut starts with the sword grip at the shoulder (hasso kamai) instead of over the head (jodan).

8. David Rourke says:

Also, if on horseback in armor, it would be difficult to draw the sword with the edge facing upward.

1. Steve Skubinna says:

Especially good point considering that samurai were originally mounted archers and their sword was a secondary weapon.

9. mikee says:

Swords are cool and all, but in battle it was the spearmen who dominated the field. And one does not wear a spear unless heading out to fight, or coming back from fighting.