I admit that I am not a big fan of oysters. I find them slightly revolting in fact. That said, I understand their role as a bellweather specie with regards to water quality and overall health of an ecosystem. I know some of the folks involved in restoring the oyster beds in the Chesapeake Bay, so I have a layman’s knowledge of the subject.
Toadfish Outfitters, out of South Carolina, has an oyster-knife of their own design called the Put ’em Back Oyster Knife. A portion of the proceeds from the sale of this knife are earmarked for oyster restoration.
From Food and Wine:
For every knife sold, Toadfish has committed to re-nourish 10 square feet of oyster habitat through its partnerships with the South Carolina Department of Natural Resources Oyster Shell Recycling Program and Oyster Restoration and Enhancement Program (SCORE). While this cause is certainly enough reason to consider the Put Em’Back, the knife is also made from recycled materials—its handle from recycled plastic bottles.
“We are a ‘lead-by-example’ friend of the coast,” says Toadfish founder Casey Davidson. “And [we] strive to have a positive impact on water quality to help ensure sustainable marine ecosystems for generations to come. Oysters provide a natural filtration system for our waterways. The more oysters we put back the cleaner and healthier our coastal waters become.”
A good cause for coastal sportsmen to support. Even if you don’t eat oysters, they are a vital support species for gamefish and other marine life.
From Toadfish Outfitters:
The put em’ back oyster knife was developed from generations of oystermen. It combines all the elements of a traditional oyster knife with a modern look at ergonomics and the physics of shucking an oyster perfectly and safely. This artfully crafted multiple purpose knife will shuck raw or steamed oysters and its sharp blade will cut them out of the shell with ease. Once you shuck an oyster with a Toadfish™ blade, you will know why folks call these knives ‘the most thought out oyster shuckers ever created’.
- A portion of the proceeds from the sale of all Toadfish products goes directly to oyster habitat restoration projects.
- Handle made from post consumer recycled plastic.
- Japanese stainless steel, stain-free, rust-resistant stainless steel blade that is bent on the tip section allowing raw oysters to ‘pop’ open from the hinge.
- Ergonomic thumb print handle design eliminates hand slippage making shucking safer.
- Blade through design creating one of the most durable oyster shuckers on the market.
- Multi-purpose oyster knife designed to shuck raw and steamed oysters.
- Sharp edges on the tip section to cut oysters out of the shell.
- NOT designed for opening raw large ‘rock’ Gulf Coast oysters.
- MSRP: $38