FBI Statistics: Four times more people killed with knives than rifles in 2016

Ar-15 vs Knife

Knives were used in 4 times as many homicides as rifles in 2016

I am cautiously optimistic that the post-Vegas push to “do something” that in no way will actually “do anything” to prevent another massacre will get bogged down and fizzle out without amounting to anything. There have been a dozens of news distractions cycles since then, and without getting overly conspiratorial – too much attention on the gun issue will also shine a light on how much the investigation and timeline don’t seem to add up.

The concept is not a new one to most of you, rifles represent a small fraction of firearms homicides, scary black ones an even smaller fraction. So small in fact, that according to the FBI’s 2016 Uniform Crime Report: knives were used to kill 4 times as many people as all rifles in 2016.

From Breitbart:

The FBI Uniform Crime Report (UCR) for 2016 shows more than four times as many people were stabbed to death than were killed with rifles of any kind.

And because the category of rifles covers every type of rifle, this means there would be an even greater divide between the number of people stabbed to death versus those shot to death with an AR-15 or similar rifle.

According to FBI: UCR Table 12, there were approximately 374 people shot and killed with rifles of any kind. There were 1,604 people killed with “knives or cutting instruments.”

Table 12 also shows that more people were killed via the use of “hands, fists, feet, etc.,” than were killed by rifles of any kind. In fact, the tally shows that the death numbers were not even close. While approximately 374 people were shot and killed with rifles, roughly 656 people were beaten to death with “hands, fists, feet, etc.”

Better get on “common sense fist control” right away. For the children. Of course even “fist control” would not have saved 9-year old Dericka Lindsay who was killed when her 325 pound cousin sat on her.

Editor’s Note: Welcome. I express no pleasure at the bump in traffic this post is experiencing in the wake of the tragedy in Florida. That said, I can’t figure out where it is coming from or if it is all organic search. It isn’t showing up as facebook traffic. If this is your first visit to TTAK, please drop a line in the comments to let us know how you found the blog.

The solution to a spree killer is accurate returned fire. When will the politicians learn that “gun-free zones” are death traps?

comments

How many “assault” knives were used. and how many kitchen knives were used? Inquiring minds WANT to know!

1. Cecil Simmons says:

Assault is an action not a weapon!

2. EDDIE says:

Tactical knives is the word your looking for… not assault knives…

2. Jk says:

Google search for statistics
    Which I was doing because of all the anti gun remarks due to the recent Florida shootings.

3. Jeff Peck says:

Did a google search for “Mass stabbings” and this was one of the results.

4. Noumenon says:

Snoops questions your conclusion, by pointing out that there is a category of murders due to “unknown firearms” that most probably includes riffles,…. resulting in a deliberate underestimate for the number of rifles in your post. I support the 2nd Amendment, but truth even more.

5. Aimee says:

A simple statistic search for murders by knives vs guns

6. Keri says:

I found you by Google searching “knives killed” and your page came up.

7. Bob says:

Searched because of conversation of gun control vs. mental illness. I’m strong believer in the 2nd amendment. I believe this issue should be directed towards mental illness.

8. Steve says:

Hello, Like most of the other comments I did a Google search because of the most recent shooting in Florida. I hate that this happened and when these types of shootings happen in our School’s and our kids die it even makes it more horrific. What makes it even worse is when the liberal media marches in and starts pointing the finger at guns. It’s so much more then a gun problem here in the States….

9. Heidi Romine says:

Was looking to purchase an AR before “they” outlaw them, and stumbled across the site.

1. When they outlaw light sabers, only outlaws will have light sabers. Thanks for checking us out.

1. Michele says:

I came to this site because the ever-repulsive rUsh lImbaugh stated on his ” show” that 25″0 thousand people were killed with knives last year. Trying to find statistics because I knew he is a liar, among other things.

1. The only time that number makes sense in a knife violence context is reported
          Knife crimes in London per year. It is certainly not the number of knife murders in the US.

I didn’t hear what Rush said, so I can’t comment directly, but you are right- that number is nowhere close.

10. Sally Sue says:

I don’t see Florida on that table u linked? I was looking to use the statistics for that state specifically right now but I can’t find it? What am I missing?

11. Lars says:

What’s not mentioned at all is that these numbers are given voluntarily by police. There are many more incidents that have not been reported. These numbers are therefore inaccurate and should not be used to make this argument.

There is no way Alabama had one murder by a firearm.

12. Susan Jorgensen says:

Found your site from Google search homicide knives you were a few down wanted credible data

13. SRQ Tad says:

Yahoo search for “USA deaths by knife”… your blog came up # 3 in the list

14. Beth Black says:

You wanted to know how I found this blog the link was shared by a local gun nut in the comment section of a local news article after a double homicide perpetrated by a drunk with a kitchen knife. his rationale for why he needs an AR15….

15. Nana says:

Hey there….first time here. I did a search through “startpage.com” and searched for “deaths by knives vs. guns in the U.S.”

16. julian cunningham says:

I think this study is a bit misleading because I think people are taking it out of context that we are talking about rifles here not handguns or total firearms and in this case total firearms outnumbers knives outnumber knives significantly. (https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2016/crime-in-the-u.s.-2016/tables/expanded-homicide-data-table-4.xls) p.s. im not trying to start an argument here but i just think that people are taking this info to mean there are more people killed with knives than firearms if im wrong please cite me proper evidence

1. There are more killed with knives than rifles of all types. Handguns kill the most