Leatherman PST turns 35; 2 limited runs released to public

Leatherman 35th Anniversary PST

Many folks swear, my Uncle among them, that the original Leatherman PST (Pocket Survival Tool) is the best one they ever made. Not too big or loaded down with bells and whistles, the original PST is a compact yet versatile unit. In honor of the 35th anniversary of this iconic tool, Leatherman has released two limited runs of PST – A “regular” Limited Edition, and a serialized Collector’s Edition of 500 units.

Leatherman Press Release: (via OutdoorIndustry.org)

This is the first Tool Tale: In 1975, recent college graduate Tim Leatherman and his wife Chau set off on a roadtrip throughout Europe. Along the way, the unreliable Fiat the newlyweds had purchased for $300 required multiple roadside fixes. Tim had the right know-how, but not the right tools to fix it. Tim returned home with an idea for a multi-tool to tackle life’s unexpected challenges. He asked his wife if she could support the family while he pursued his idea. He thought it would take him a month to develop a prototype. After eight years of toiling in his garage and multiple rejections, the Pocket Survival Tool (PST) was born. In their first year of business, Tim and his co-founder hoped to sell 4,000 tools; instead, they sold 30,000. And over the next decade, they would sell over one million PST multi-tools.

Today, on the brand’s 35th Anniversary, Leatherman is continuing Tim’s legacy of unwavering perseverance, ingenious design, and commitment to quality with the revival of the Limited Edition PST.

“I’m incredibly proud to introduce a Limited Edition Pocket Survival Tool nearly identical to my original design.  Every tool is crafted just like the original, but not in my garage!” said Leatherman, who serves as chairman of Leatherman Tool Group. “Seeing it brings back memories of what it took to launch this company. I’m in awe of how it has grown over the years and thankful for our dedicated employees and faithful fans who helped us reach this milestone.”

The PST comes in two styles: Limited Edition PST for $200 and the serialized Collector’s Edition PST for $275. Made of 100% stainless steel, the Limited Edition PST has 14 tools in one including: Needlenose Pliers, Regular Pliers, Wire Cutters, Hard-wire Cutters, 420HC Knife, Wood/Metal File, Phillips Screwdriver, Large Screwdriver, Medium Screwdriver, Small Screwdriver, Awl, Ruler (8 in/20 cm), Can Opener and Bottle Opener. Each PST is stamped with Tim Leatherman’s signature and comes with an American-made leather sheath, emblazoned with a diagonal wordmark in gold foil, a throwback to the original. The Limited Edition PST will be available January 23rd at select Leatherman retailers.

The Collector’s Edition comes with a serial number in a beautiful wooden box with a collector’s commemortive coin and a certificate of authenticity. Only 500 Collector’s Edition PST are being produced and will be available at leatherman.com on February 1, 2018.

About Leatherman

Founded in 1983, Leatherman is the world’s largest manufacturer of tools that prepare people for both expected and unexpected challenges, journeys and adventures. Co-founder Tim Leatherman’s real life experiences inspired him to build the world’s first multi-tool, and his dedication to his product philosophy of creating multi-purpose tools with the highest quality, most functionality, least space, and least weight has driven Leatherman for 35 years. The Oregon-based company distributes its high quality Leatherman multi-tools, manufactured in Portland, in more than 86 countries.  For more information about the original American multi-tool, visit www.leatherman.com.

comments

1. Charles Phillips says:

I agree with your Uncle, the original PST was the best ever!

2. Skinnedknuckles says:

I still have mine and the one that I bought as a gift for my late father. I agree it is the prefect size and balance between complexity and utility. I later got the bigger version with the locking blades and really did not like it.

That said, I wasn’t all that fond of the original PST because of the sharp edges of the handles when opened to use the pliers. They were very uncomfortable when putting pressure on the pliers. I also disliked having to open them to access the knife. But since it worked I just sucked it up until they came out with newer versions that fixed my complaints.

3. stuartb says:

I got mine for free with a new fridge I bought in Hong Kong back in the 90s, the Leatherman still going strong, the fridge, not so much. But I think its eclipsed by the skeletool version.

4. John F. MacMichael says:

Leatherman has its own retail store here in Portland. It is located out by the airport. They offer a nice little deal in that they will laser engrave your purchase while you wait for free (some restrictions apply). Something to keep in mind for the next time you are passing through Portland.

My first multi-tool was a SOG, but now I also have 6 or 8 Leathermans. And a Gerber from years back.

6. UH1H CE says:

I worked the international developmental aid circuit for 13 years. In that time I handed out close to a hundred PSTs all over the world. I gave them to technicians, drivers, policemen, bellhops, and air crew. They were one of the best things I could have given to anyone in an under-developed country. They were always recognized, well-received, and valued as a cherished gift.

1. There is a Massai guide in Kenya that is walking around with a Spyderco rescue.

7. Obi says:

I bought a Leatherman back in ’94 and have carried it almost everywhere I go; Church being about the only exception. In ’99, I had the privilege of touring the factory in Portland, and was greatly impressed by them.

And they do live up to their warranty. The knife tip broke when I dropped it on the floor, and they replaced it at no charge.

Maybe I should get another, in case anything happens to the original???

8. phil friden says:

i want them to make the original leatherman again, any chance that’s gonna happen?