Quote of the Day: We will beat you with our shovels

beat you with our shovels

Senior Enlisted Adviser to the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Army Command Sergeant Major John Wayne Troxell

Apparently, Senior Enlisted Adviser to the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Army Command Sergeant Major John Wayne Troxell is in a little hot water because well…feels and stuff.

From ABCNews:

“If they surrender, we will safeguard them to their detainee facility cell, provide them chow, a cot and due process,” Troxell wrote. “HOWEVER, if they choose not to surrender, then we will kill them with extreme prejudice, whether that be through security force assistance, by dropping bombs on them, shooting them in the face, or beating them to death with our entrenching tools.”

Frankly, I don’t see what is wrong with what the Sergeant Major had to say. He recognizes that there are rules of warfare which compel him to shelter, protect, and feed those combatants who lay down their arms and surrender. If they don’t they will be terminated. End of story.

It doesn’t matter if it is a bomb, a gun, a knife, or a shovel…dead is dead. Or you could shoot them with your shovel – for extra credit.

In the words of General Patton,

““No dumb bastard ever won a war by going out and dying for his country. He won it by making some other dumb bastard die for his country.”

According to the site QuoteInvestigator, this was actually said by Patton, and not just George C. Scott.

I really can’t top that.

(h/t GR)

comments

1. stuartb says:

Time for a Cold Steel shovel review then?

2. OldManGI says:

An MRE spoon in the right hands is a killing tool of war.

3. DUG says:

OMG! He talks like a warrior! Is that allowed in the military? I served in the AF under multiple Presidents, but under Obama there was a conscious decision to down play the “warrior ethos” for a more “progressive and inclusive” philosophy. Diversity and inclusivity replaced “Fly, Fight, Win”.

4. In Vietnam, infantry personnel were required to keep a sharp edge on the mattox-shovel entrenchment tool.
    My 1965 AMES E.T. (entrenchment tool) still has sharpened edges on the shovel. Works good for clearing cactus and other undesirable debris from a desert campsite. And is quite an awesome weapon when properly applied. And it’s made in the USA. Lives in my 4×4, especially in the winter. And the folding pick is perfect for prying rebar tent stakes out of the playa.

5. hawk590 says:

I still carry my E Tool and would use it in a heartbeat to defend myself if I had to. Just think of the reaction of the one who is trying to hurt me watching me pull that one out. May rethink his plans…

ABC: Just a buncha pussyfooting pussyfooters.

7. Icabod says:

Entrenching tool for shock and awe. P-38 for close combat.

1. Oh Yea! I used to keep a roll of T.P. stashed on the haft of the ET for real emergencies. I’m kinda outa date~prefer my 1911 with green canvas micarta grips and a bead blasted finish on stainless~ Matches my Panama Folder nicely. Stylin’