Kvitova assailant arrested; will remain behind bars

Kvitova assailant arrested

It has been less than a year and a half since an until now unidentified assailant broke into the home of Czech tennis star Petra Kvitova, leaving her with career-threatening cuts to her hands. The 2-time Wimbledon Champion has since returned to the tour, even winning a couple of recent tournaments. (Update: For a really good story on her road to recovery and return, check out this piece in the New Yorker)

From Sport24.co.za:

Now, almost 18 months after the violent break-in, Czech police have arrested a man, described as a 54-year-old drug addict, in connection with the attack.

“It’s great news for me to hear that. It’s great that they have him in custody. But probably the happiest I will be is when the story will end, when everything will be done and finished,” Kvitova told reporters at Roland Garros on Friday.

Kvitova, the world number eight, suffered career-threatening injuries to her playing left hand as she fought off the intruder at her home in the eastern Czech town of Prostejov in December 2016.

Despite grim forecasts by doctors, who even warned she might lose her fingers, the 2011 and 2014 Wimbledon champion returned to the sport in time for last year’s French Open.

Kvitova sank from 11th in the world when the crime occurred to 29th at the turn of 2017 and 2018, but she has since climbed back into the top ten, also owing to back-to-back wins at Prague and Madrid this spring.

 

 

 


 

comments

  1. Sam L. says:

    Wonderful!

Write a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Kvitova assailant arrested; will remain behind bars

button to share on facebook
button to tweet
button to share via email