Video: How to survive a knife attack

survive a knife fight

I have a couple of years of Krav Maga training under my figurative belt now, and thus I have been studying knife defense. I don’t know who this guy is, but he meets WEB Griffin’s definition of a Genius – namely “How much you agree with him”. I agree wholeheartedly. This simple technique works in the majority of circumstances…

Unless it doesn’t work because you are unable due to obstacles or physical limitation. If that is the case, the adage about Sam Colt making people equal applies.

(h/t DR)

comments

1. b shawn says:

If you didn’t bring a gun to a knife fight, run till you get where you have one.

Hi-speed retreat, if you can do it.

1. p-dawg says:

It’s not retreat – it’s advancing quickly to the rear.

2. Tim says:

“Retreat, hell!
      We’re attacking in a different direction!”

3. Alein says:

Very good advice.
    Now, just for giggles, what if you can’t retreat? It happens. What is your advice for that situation?

1. Hank says:

Use the outside part of your forearms to block. Less meat and arteries to cut through. And, plan on getting cut. Better the arms than the face or torso.

4. Mike L. says:

Way back in the beginings of TTAG I brought to RF’s attention the storied advice of Teamster Pres Jimmy Hoffa. After spending the early part of the 20th century living the hard knock life of a street thug and union organizer, he advised “charge a gun, run from a knife”.

1. John C. says:

That was what I was taught. A gun is a distance weapon, and most people that have one are more prepared to shoot at a distance than up close and personal. On the other hand, a knife is a contact weapon, no good at a distance.

5. Joe says:

It’s an old joke, been done many a time even on YouTube. However most of the time fights aren’t posturing so you can run, they are shankings or surprise attacks. This is the same idea as people lining up for a quick draw contest, it just doesn’t happen, someone will already have it out and the victim is reacting.

6. Da Bear says:

Absolutely correct.

I was taught self defense by a Marine D.I. He always said RUN from a knife fight…if you can. If you are trapped, get in a quick blow or thrust and then at the very first opportunity, “Get the hell outta Dodge.”

1. Ingot9455 says:

Yes, the technical term is ‘disengage.’
      You will rarely have the space, room, and speed to run without getting stabbed in the back.
      You need to do something that forces your opponent to move back – attacking the eyes is one option – and that is your time to run. At the very least he will have to take the time to stop, re-orient, and pick up speed.

7. Pyrthroes says:

Best strategic plan: Join the U.S. Marine Corps.

“Be courteous, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet” – Gen. James “Mad Dog” Mattis, U.S. SeDdef.

8. Manual Paleologos says:

“I’ll fight you if you promise not to run.”

“OK, I’ll not run.”

“Good. Then you’ll never catch me.”