Yes, There IS a Portable Knife Sharpener for Knife Snobs

portable knife sharpener lansky

The classic response to “What would I use a pocket knife for?” is “When you have one, you’ll find yourself using it all the time.”

(Sponsored Content)
When you have a portable knife sharpener, you’ll find yourself using it all the time. But… if you’re like most TTAK readers, you don’t want to sacrifice that perfect blade angle on your fishing or woodcarving knife. Good news for you: Lansky has a portable knife sharpener just for knife snobs.

Lansky

The Quadsharp Pocket Sharpener is the V.I.P. version of Lansky’s legendary Blademedic. Wait, you didn’t know there was a V.I.P. version? Neither did we, but it’s cool to see a pocket sharpener that can actually do 17, 20, 25 and 30-degree angles rather than a nondescript standard. Even better, the Quadsharp can be had for just $3 more than the Blademedic.

There are two functionalities: pull-through sharpening at each of the four angles, plus an 800-grit ceramic element to be used like a benchstone. The ceramic is harder than steel and tapered for sharpening serrations.

This thing sells itself. Check it out at Lansky’s site.

Field Sharpening Tips From Lansky

Anticipate dullness. Be mindful of how sharp your knife is while you’re in the field. You’ll get the best results by touching up your knife before it gets dangerously dull.

Take your time. You wouldn’t rush your sharpening at home; do the same in the field.

Count your strokes. This is a portable sharpener; it’s meant to do the job quickly. Three to six strokes is probably all you need.

Rinse your blade thoroughly before sticking it back into your game harvest.

When sharpening a serrated blade, pull the ceramic element against the grooved side of each serration individually. if the serrations are wider, use a sweeping or rolling motion along the full length of the serration, from one side to the other. Repeat this on each serration before moving onto the next.

Recommended Sharpening Angles for Outdoor Knives:

Survival, Wilderness and Hunting Knives: 25 or 30 degrees

Boning Knives: 17, 20 or 25 degrees

Fillet Knives: 17 or 20 degrees

Machetes: 30 degrees

You can learn even more about knife sharpening from Lansky on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

comments

1. dph says:

I’ll just say this, anyone who uses a carbide sharpener on any knife that cost more than $10 is a fool. Quickest way I know of to wreck any knife. If it’s all you have and you need a sort of sharp knife I guess your stuck with it, but I don’t any knives I need sharpened that badly.

1. (Sponsored Content)

The ceramics would be alright.

1. dph says:

I usually sharpen with a Spyderco Sharpmaker or a Lansky 5 stone kit.
        Neither one is super precise on the edge angles, but they both do a fair job without removing a ton of metal like the carbide scrapers.

2. Dick says:

SUBARU!

2. Saran Wrappe says:

I was ready to set you straight when I realized you only specified carbide. I am 100% behind you on that. I have a smith pocket sharpner on my BOB for emergency sharping but will never use the carbide unless its a cold day in hell. Found out the hard way after using it on a s35vn blade. It took me 3 hours with my lansky jig to fix the blade. Beware the carbide. Love the ceramic.

2. stuartb says:

I looked in the title for notification that it was sponsored content, I just assumed it was as it wasnt your usual writing style. Is TTAK not doing that any more?

I actually have their previous pocket sharpener and can only agree with dph, carbide pull sharpeners are just savage!

1. It went into the queue without me. I updated it to reflect the sponsored nature of the post.

I don’t personally care for carbide for the reasons specified by others. Ceramic in this configuration is actually quite useful

3. Peter Kennedy says:

As I understand it, this product has ceramic rods in it, not carbide sharpeners. Yes, it would appear not to be ruinous. At least not by using carbide.

4. Peter Kennedy says:

Alas, the pull through sharpeners are carbide steel, not ceramic.

5. tom says:

i use one and its awsome, use it lightly and it does fine but my knives are just tools that will be eventually replaced.

6. cmeat says:

our local northwestern cutlery had a nice dmt diafold sharpener selection. i opted for the fine/ extra fine model (600/ 1200grit) and coupled with a cheap loupe for viewing it puts a nice edge on things. i leave it in the work truck for between jobs but it would be very portable.